Won't start after having changed the location of zotero library in Lion

Greetings,

I attempted to change the location of my Zotero library from the automatically given to an older Zotero account from my earlier user-account (which I can still access in my current mac ox 10.7). I created this library in another mac laptop with older mac ox - 10.5.

So I went to advanced options and changed the location manually to this older Zotero folder and restarted Firefox, after which I could not start Zotero at all (and thus cannot try anything other thing, at least that easily). Zotero does not anymore appear in the bottom-right corner and even from the tools I cannot launch it anymore.

How could I undo this or, even better, how could I get my old library to the new user-account now? I don't have the same user-account due to difficulties in changing from the earlier laptop to the new.

Many thanks for help!
  • Did you create your old library with Zotero 3.0?
    See also: http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#reporting_startup_errors
  • Something is odd, though - if Zotero were pointed to a corrupted library it would display a start-up error. If it's pointed to an empty folder it just creates a new library - but I don't see how you get to a situation where you don't have Zotero showing up at all.

When you say:
    "Zotero does not anymore appear in the bottom-right corner and even from the tools I cannot launch it anymore."
    you mean there is no sign of Zotero in either place? Is it still listed in the firefox add-ons under Tools-->Add-ons --> Extensions?
  • I'd first check the permissions on the old directory via Get Info in the finder—make sure your current account owns it and has write access to all files.

To reset Zotero you can try going to about:config in the Firefox address bar and typing 'datadir'. If the Zotero prefs are registered they should show up in the list and you can right-click to reset them and then restart Firefox.
  • And beyond that, follow the steps Gracile links to.