Firefix and Acrobat crashing

Hello

This is not the end of the world, but happens often enough that I thought I should report it.

I am using Zotero 1.03, Firefox 2.0.0.13, Adobe reader 7.0, and Windows XP.

I am fire-testing Zotero on a substantial literature review, and it has been working great. I am using it a lot (as in: all the time) which often means having several firefox windows open, each with a lot of tabs. Oh, I am am also using Firefox to listen to webradio while I work. Every now and then (maybe some 5 times a day), Firefox crashes (gives me one of those messages "an error has occurred and we will need to restart your session" or something). I can simply ask it to restart the previous session, so not a big deal. Slightly less frequently (about 4 times a day), Adobe crashes and all the pdfs in the tabs go blank. Again, not a big deal as I can reload them in the tab and they show up again.

I don't know if this is related to Zotero, or simply to the fact that because I am using Zotero I am using Firefox a lot.

So, as I said, not a big deal in practice, but wondering if it is just me or someone else is experiencing the same?

Many thanks!
  • Do you consistently use Zotero in just one window, or do you use more than window for Zotero use?

Do you have the same problem if you open just ONE Firefox window and then do everything in tabs?

I'm just wondering if there is somesort of inter-window conflict going on.
  • I typically have at least two windows opened. This is because one of them quickly gets crowded with multiple open documents as I look across several references. I'll try working from one window only to see if it makes a difference.

Somewhat related, I suggested in a different post that it would be nice to have a quick way of opening pdf attchments outside Firefox - this would reduce the number of tabs/windows I would need to have open in Firefox. Also, Adobe is a better tool for visualising PDFs because one can see more of the document (smaller menu bars on top, and Firefox gets very crowded with Zotero open).
  • >>> it would be nice to have a quick way of opening pdf attchments outside Firefox

As I prefer to download PDFs and open them outside of the browser (for full screen option, for example, that isn't available in the browser) I've set Firefox (via Settings, Content, Filetype) to open PDFs externally. Is this what you're looking for?
  • it would be nice to have a quick way of opening pdf attchments outside Firefox
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2241/open-pdfs-in-acrobat-reader-externally/#Comment_11652