Cannot make successive citations in MLZ

Using OSX w/ FF and MLZ, and Word 2011, all fully updated.

I have MLZ in its own profile, as suggested.
It was working fine for several months, but now I cannot make successive citations. After the first citation, Zotero hangs and just inserts {CItation}. I have to restart FF every single time I want to make any new citations. This is not ideal, to say the least.

I'm concerned about reinstalling MLZ. Would I lose any data, including the multilingual data? What other options are available to me?

Please advise.

Thanks as always.
  • you don't lose any data re-installing MLZ, but I'd hold off on doing that.
    Does this problem occur in a new document, too?
  • Yes. It occurs in all documents, new and old.

FYI, I have, of course, reset the computer. The issue persists even on a fresh boot. I initially suspected a memory issue, but the system monitor in OSX gives no indication that FF is causing excessive memory or CPU use. Additionally, all other programs work fine, and the problem persists even if all nonessential applications are shut down.
  • try a citation style that doesn't use footnotes, see if that makes a difference? Beyond that Frank will have to troubleshoot.
  • Thanks for the prompt and helpful advice. That certainly makes a huge difference with new files!

The following issues remain:
    1. Can't successfully convert any existing files (so far) by changing Doc Prefs. I could cut and paste paragraph-by-paragraph into a new file and reconstitute each reference, but with files of more than 10,000 words, this becomes more than a bit tedious. Workaround?
    2. Eventually will need to use Chicago Full-Note and am concerned about the conversion later on given (1). If I can't convert from Full-Note, will I be able to convert into it? And won't this leave all the references needing to be manually converted to footnotes? Again, that's a lot of work.

Any additional help would be appreciated.
  • I've sent an error report based on the problem.
    Report ID: 1881828414
    Sorry I didn't think to do that earlier.
  • Nathan,

The Zotero developers are the only ones with access to the Report ID submissions, and they are unlikely to provide support for an issue in MLZ.

If you are getting {Citation} in the document and then no response from the plugin, that suggests a crash of the integration plugin -- it communicates by call-and-response, and if the plugin stops responding, Zotero can't communicate with it any longer.

Contact me directly by mail. It may take several iterations, but we should be able to track down the problem. (I'm pretty busy until December 25th, so progress might be slow initially, but this can definitely be fixed.)
  • (Nathan and I have had some correspondence. It looks to be just a non-MLZ-specific issue with one or more cites in the document.)