Editing info fields is extremely slow

I've noticed lately that editing info fields is extremely slow. Sometimes changing the value of a field locks up Firefox for over a minute -- this is just unacceptable. I have to be able to work more quickly than this. (I can tell that Firefox locks up because my Linux window manager dims windows of applications that are not responding.)

I've tried everything I can think of to speed up Zotero -- I've disabled auto-sync, set Zotero to index 0 pages and 0 characters of each file, and cleared the index. None of this helps. The problem occurs even immediately after a restart and even when no applications other than Firefox (well, and the operating system) are running.

Zotero.org says that I have 1889 items in my library (what I've accumulated during three and a half years of graduate school). This doesn't seem like a huge amount.

I *have to* work more quickly than Zotero is currently allowing me to work. Any suggestions?

I'm currently using Zotero 3.0.11 with Firefox 17.0.1 under Ubunto Linux 10.04.
  • I might note, too, that adding a tag -- especially if it doesn't already exist for any work in my library -- is *excruciatingly* slow, far more than just adding or changing info on the Info tab.
  • Did you check your database integrity (see http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/advanced)? Do you happen to have a lot of items in the Zotero trash? Also, I guess Ubuntu 10.04 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so you might want to upgrade to the newest 12.04 LTS release.
  • edited December 12, 2012
    I have checked the database integrity, and have recently emptied the trash. I forgot to mention both of those.

I've also recently rolled back to 10.04 from 11.10, in large part because 11.10 pushes the user in a variety of unpleasant directions and, more pertinently, is much slower on my computer (which is nearly three years old) -- Ubuntu 12.04 tends to favor eye candy over speed and usability, in my opinion. (Should you so desire, you can see a long list of my beefs with 11.10 at http://patrickbrianmooney.tumblr.com/post/35699617719/things-i-really-hate-on-being-strong-armed-into.) In any case, 10.04 is still being supported, and the problem was actually worse in later versions. I'm loathe to upgrade my operating system to a version that hogs resources more intensely unless it's likely to actually solve the problem, or to think that I have to use bleeding-edge hardware and software to get a minimally usable user experience from Zotero: I'm a grad student living on a TA salary in one of the ten most expensive urban areas in the country, and can't afford to keep up to date with the latest and greatest. I just need usable citation management software.
  • what hardware are you using, just to give us a sense on how fast this should run.
    I found my Zotero run a bit slowly on Firefox using Ubuntu on an old-ish computer and used Standalone for editing and using the Word plugin (sharing the data directory with Zotero for Firefox - the default on install), which I still used for importing from the web. But also, I used a five year old computer with a database more than twice as large, and delays were seconds not minutes, so something else is going on.

Provide a debug ID for editing any field in Zotero:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

(As for Ubuntu - sounds like you'll want to move over to Mint eventually?)
  • I'm using a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, 2 GB RAM, 2.2 GHz dual-core. I'll provide a debug ID as soon as I can -- I'm off to campus at the moment.

(I think I will move to Mint eventually -- and might look into this over the winter break.)
  • yeah, that's perfectly fine hardware for running Zotero with pretty large databases - faster than what I wrote my dissertation on.
  • Sorry for the delay. Here's a debug ID for editing tags: D775508883

(Of course, when I try to get a debug ID, it's substantially faster than normal, although still kind of slow.)
  • edited December 16, 2012
    You have a lot of tags, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near as slow as it seems to be for you, so this could be a system problem of some sort.

Does it improve if you close the tag selector before making changes (or if you toggle off "Show Automatic" in the tag selector menu)?
  • You should also try disabling your other Firefox extensions.
  • Sorry to take so long to reply -- I've been in a grading frenzy, followed by traveling and being away from the Internet. I'll try disabling Firefox extensions and see how that works. How do I disable "show automatic"?
  • If you have the tag selector open on the left, click on the little box with different colors, next to the tag search bar on the bottom left. Uncheck "show automatic".
    If you don't have the tag selector open this doesn't apply.
  • That DOES seem to be much faster (disabling and uninstalling a few extensions seems to have helped, too). I'll keep an eye on it and report back if things get slow again.
  • Is there any way to delete all tags? I imported a library of 10,000 citations from EndNote7, some of which had auto-citations, and I'd like to just delete all of them to speed things up.
  • no, currently not. You can delete individual tags for all items (e.g. remove the tag "library catalog" from all items tagged with it) by right clicking on it in the tag selector on the left, but you can't remove multiple tags at one.