Do Entry Attachments Immediately Update?

I currently use Zotero to hold .doc files of letter transcripts. Occasionally I update these transcripts. However, I have noticed recently that these changes are not duplicated on my other machines with Zotero fully installed (i.e. they retain the original version and do not update with the new additions/changes).

Am I failing to do something correctly or is this just simply not supported?

Thanks for the help.
  • As in, the updated file isn't transferring?

It should, as long as file syncing is set up correctly. You'll need to either sync manually after editing a file or edit something else in Zotero to trigger an auto-sync.

If you can reproduce this not working, provide a Debug ID for the first sync attempt after editing a file (but make sure the version on the server hasn't been updated).
  • Thanks, Dan.

Yes. I produced a word document on Computer A last month. I then attached it to a letter entry in Zotero. This synced with Computer B without issue.

However, I then used Computer B to edit the file whilst out and about. However, on returning to Computer A it is still the original file. Despite forcing a sync on both machines, it still retains the old version on Computer A and the new version on Computer B. [NB: On both computers I have the standalone version of Zotero installed]

I have now edited another document to see if that stimulated the auto-sync. But it seems to be to no avail.

How do I do a Debug ID on the standalone program? I seems so far to not be able to do it.

Thanks for the help again.
  • the instructions for debug for standalone are the same - what's not clear/not working?
  • Once I get into the Extensions section of the Add-ons Manager I cannot find the plain Zotero one referred to in the instructions. All I find is the 'Zotero LibreOffice Integration' and 'Zotero Word for Windows Integration' extension.
  • ah yes - see here: http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences for more detailed instructions on how to open the preferences that distinguish more clearly between Firefox and Standalone
  • Thanks for that, I was doing something dim last night.

Here is the Debug ID after I have tried syncing: D467257761.
  • No synced files have changed locally
    Whatever program you're using to edit the files locally seems not to be changing the file modification time (or else this isn't the first sync after an edit).
  • edited December 7, 2012
    I used MS Word 2010 to both create and modify the document.

When I select 'Show File' on the computer I created the file (i.e. Computer A) it shows the date as 19 November 2012. However, on doing it on Computer B (the one I modified it on) it shows 3 December 2012. Does this mean the 'file modification time' has changed or are these dates different from the file mod time?

Is there a way I can force the file to update its file?
    (or else this isn't the first sync after an edit
    I am not sure what you mean by this! Can you explain again?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the help again.
  • In order to see what's going on, Dan will need you to give him a debug ID right for these two steps:
    1. Modify an attached file and save it.
    2. Sync

If Dec. 3rd was the last time you modified the file in question, you presumably have synced since, that's what Dan means by "this isn't the first sync after an edit".
  • Bingo! I have got it. Will do that right now.

Thanks.
  • Right. I went on Computer B and enabled Debug ID and then edited a different file and then sent to the Zotero servers.

Here is the Debug ID: D1704459316.

Hope that is right?

Thanks.
  • PS: This document has been synced correctly across my computers. However, even though that worked it does not appear to have forced a sync of the other file.

Would ti be worthwhile for me to delete the file which has failed to sync and then reattach it? Maybe it was just an unfortunate and unusual occurrence?
  • yeah, that won't help to troubleshoot, since there is not trouble with that file. Why don't you just make a tiny edit in the file that's not syncing - add a space at the end or so, save it and try syncing again, again with debug enabled.
  • Ok. I will do.
  • Right. Again, Computer B. I have edited the file and then synced it with it producing this Debug ID: D1239822492.

Hopefully I have it right this time!

A.
  • Yes! Superb. It has worked. After that it has synced across both machines. What is more, to make sure it was working properly I then edited the updated file on Computer A and tested to see if these changes were synced to Computer B and...good news...it worked.

Thanks ever so much for the help. I now just need to make sure that all the other files are up to date!

Do you have any ideas why this may have happened? Could it have been caused by something stupid from my end, for example, failing to do a final sync before closing Zotero after the edit? I usually do do this, but I may have forgotten.
  • In general, we recommend you have auto-sync turned on (sync tab of the preferences) - I doubt this would have anything to do with this problem, though.
    Dan may have other ideas about possible reasons this may have occurred.
  • edited December 7, 2012
    Could it have been caused by something stupid from my end, for example, failing to do a final sync before closing Zotero after the edit?
    Yes. Only an edit in Zotero itself will cause an auto-sync. It doesn't know a file changed without checking explicitly, and it only does that when it's already doing a sync for other reasons.

(We could make Zotero sync when it's being closed, though it's risk slowing down the closing.)
  • Yes. Only an edit in Zotero itself will cause an auto-sync. It doesn't know a file changed without checking explicitly, and it only does that when it's already doing a sync for other reasons.
    Aha, and there is the crux. That sounds like the most plausible reason that I can think of. Even if it didn't cause it on this occasion, it is something worth being acutely aware of in the future!

Thanks ever so much for your help once again with this issue. Hugely appreciated. I will now go and make sure all the other files are updated correctly as well.