The string "section" seems hardcoded in references to bills

No matter which style I use, even a customised one, the text "section", unexpectedly, gets in front of the page number in a citation of a government bill in MS Word.

However, the CSL Editor gets it right by not forcing "section" in to the citation.

I use Zotero 3.0.11 and Word Plugin 3.5.6 with MS Word 2007 and 2008.
  • Zotero doesn't add anything hardcoded to field content ever. If you see "section" it's somewhere in the style - the most likely reason for different behavior between the CSL Editor and Zotero is an invalid style.
    We'd need to see the code of a style to say more - post as a public gist to gist.github.com
    Also, are you sure your citations are actually updating in Word?
    IIRC we do hardcode section into the citation of statutes in a couple of citation styles (Chicago and AMA maybe?)
  • edited December 4, 2012
    Funny, I get this behaviour all the time, no matter what style I try, provided the style is actually showing the page number. I've tried A. Medical. Assoc., A. Anthropological Assoc., APA, Chicago (full note) and a few more, apart from my own.

My customised CSL:
    https://github.com/krevad/attskrivajuridik-csl/blob/7b1a0c05bed40933cbbc3b26aadc0ce51b025b48/Att%20skriva%20juridik.csl
  • I should also add that "section" does not get added to a page reference in the CSL Editor when I have tried the styles I just mentioned.
  • could you provide an example of what you're seeing just so I have a better idea? Maybe both with your custom style and with APA.
  • Are you sure "section" isn't included in "Pages" field in your Zotero library? Does "section" show for any other items?
  • and the section - are you entering this as a locator in the word plugin (i.e. where you'd also put page numbers etc.) or is that coming from the Zotero item?
  • (@adamsmith: the "s" before "section167" in the APA example looks like a page label, suggesting "section" isn't introduced via a locator)
  • Rintze: It appears on every bill but not other types I've tried. Section is not included in the "Pages" field either. (otherwise it would probably show up in the CSL Editor too)

Adamsmith: Yes, I am entering the page number by letting Zotero auto-complete my source and then enter "p 123" for page 123.

I am using both Swedish Word and Swedish Zotero if that adds to the confusion - however "section" is not a valid word in Swedish and I've checked if it appears in the translation on Transifex (it doesn't).
  • edited December 6, 2012
    This is what data was entered to that item.

Link
  • I can confirm this.
    That looks like a bug in citeproc, I'll ask Frank to take a look, this certainly shouldn't happen. As far as I can tell this only happens when page is selected as locator. It's not related to the language of the Zotero version - also happens for me in the English version.
  • I get this in MLZ as well, it's definitely a bug in the processor.

I'll work on a fix, but meanwhile you can avoid the bug by setting page numbers as "p. 123" in the locator field.
  • Dear all,

Try installing this processor plugin. Its only effect is to swap in the latest version of the citation processor, which I've just patched to fix this problem. The plugin should disable itself at the next Zotero upgrade, at which point it can be uninstalled.