From Zotero 3.0.11 to Filemaker pro 10

Hello everyone,

I'm working in a library. We're using Zotero to make the lists of documents to command at the book stores. We're used to export the lists from Zotero with the MODS.js, and then import it in Filemaker pro. Everything worked fine, until Firefox updated to version 17.
We had to update Zotero to the 3.0.11 version, because otherwise it wouldn't possible to export any list. Now we're able to do it. But when we're trying to import the file in Filemaker, we're getting a strange message telling us that no new record is created, no error was encountered.
I tried to copy the MODS.js of Zotero 3.0.8 in Zotero 3.0.11, but nothing changed.

Has someone any idea ? Thanks very much :)
  • edited November 30, 2012
    did you look at the exported MODS file in a text editor - did it look right?
    I tried to copy the MODS.js of Zotero 3.0.8 in Zotero 3.0.11, but nothing changed.
    that won't work - the MODS translator had to be changed for FF 17
  • edited November 30, 2012
    Thank you for answering.

The MODS file, as long as I can see, isn't different from a version to another.
    And they look right, as far as I know.
    Furthermore, the exported files isn't strange.

If you want to take a look, you'll find the MODS file and an exported one there : files

[edit]
    I'd like to compare an exported file of now with another one of the time when they worked. But we don't archive them.
  • I found an old XML file, exported from Zotero some times ago. I could import it in Filemaker.
    This file can be seen there : old xml
    I'm not able to see any significant difference between these files.
  • If you want to take a look, you'll find the MODS file and an exported one there : files
    That isn't a valid MODS file and is not the present version of the translator doesn't produce output that looks like that. Please revert to the standard MODS translator.

modsCollections should have the xmlns, xmlns:xsi, xsi:schemaLocation attributes. mods should not.

That file also contains XML entities of non-ASCII characters. This is entirely valid, but I suppose that your importer for FMP may be a bit brittle. In any case, if you're exporting valid MODS (as the stock Zotero produces), your problem with import will most likely be solved by those who support the importer.
  • @noksagt

You're right. The fact is that with a non-modified MODS, Filemaker 10 can't import any XML file. That why we modified the MODS file in order to get a modsCollections without these attributes.
    The problem seems to be now, that the MODS add an attribute to the when the MODS.js is modified. That wasn't the case before the last Zotero version. If I remove the mods attribute, and if there is no attribute to the modsCollections, then the importation works fine.
  • I tried to use the original MODS.js, in order to get a correct XML file (export_mods_normal_01.xml), which is uploaded at the same place : files.

When I want to import it in filemaker, using the XSL "Zotero_to_Filmaker_IM.xsl", which is also uploaded at the same place, I have to disable the firewall, otherwise Filemaker isn't able to reach any URL. In this case, I get this error :
    "An exception occured! Type:NetAccessorException, Message:Could not connect to the socket for URL '{o}'. Error={1}"

But without the firewall, Filemaker tell me that the XML has an invalid structure. Even thought XMLSPY is able to check the validity of this file.
    If I erase all the attributes in the , then I can't validate the XML with XMLSPY, but I'm able to import it in Filemaker (of course even without disabling the firewall).

Apparently I have a lot of work to understand how does it work ! :)
  • edited January 13, 2014
    I'm new to Zotero as well, so I apologize if this has been answered somewhere.
    We use Filemaker Pro version 12.0v2. I have Zotero version 4.0.17. I have tried some of the scripts suggested to import records from Zotero into Filemaker, but I get this error message: "XML parsing error:unable to open primary document entity."
    I have two options when importing into Filemaker. One is to chose a file; the other is XML data source where I can past an XSL style sheet. But neither option works. Any suggestions?
  • edited January 13, 2014
    just to clarify - while this is the right place to post and why it's certainly possible someone has a solution, Zotero to Filemaker export/import isn't something that's officially supported by Zotero, so there's no guarantee it'll work. Obviously you should also ask FMP's support.

My understanding is that you will have to run an xsl conversion on Zotero's MODS export to convert it to Filemaker Pro's FMPXMLRESULT format, see e.g.:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12132470/xslt-to-translate-zotero-xml-output-to-fmpxmlresult-xml