bugs when citing multiple works by the same author

Using Zotero 1.0.3 with the OpenOffice plugin and Chicago Manual of Style author-date format, I've encountered several bugs when citing multiple works by the same author.

Given the following three items (two books and a book chapter):

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1984. Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1987. Choses dites. Paris: Les Éditions de Minuit.

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1987. Legitimation and Structured Interests in Weber's Sociology of Religion. In Max Weber, Rationality and Modernity, Ed. Scott Lash and Sam Whimster, 119-136, London: Allen & Unwin.

Bug 1:

I create a citation with two sources, citing page 100 in "Distinction", and page 200 in "Choses dites". Result:

(Bourdieu 1984, 1987, 100)⁠

That can’t be right. The page number for "Choses dites" is missing, and you can’t tell which work page 100 is referring to. I think it should be:

(Bourdieu 1984, 100; 1987, 200)

Bug 2:

If I cite both "Choses dites" and "Legitimation and Structured Interests" in the same document, I get:

(Bourdieu 1987)⁠

(Bourdieu 1987)⁠

It should clearly be:

(Bourdieu 1987a)

(Bourdieu 1987b)

Bug 3:

Having cited all three works, I generate the bibliography, and I get:

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1987. Choses dites. Paris: Les Éditions de Minuit.

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1984. Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.

Bourdieu, Pierre. 1987. Legitimation and Structured Interests in Weber's Sociology of Religion. In Max Weber, Rationality and Modernity, Ed. Scott Lash and Sam Whimster, 119-136, London: Allen & Unwin.

There are two problems here. First, the works should be arranged in chronological order. Second, the author’s name should be replaced by a long dash after the first occurrence.
  • edited April 8, 2008
    All three bugs also occur in Harvard format.
  • edited April 8, 2008
    All these bugs are fixed on the dev branch and in the version of the Chicago Author-Date style available from the Dev Styles section at http://www.zotero.org/styles/ The public style will be automatically updated when 1.0.4 comes out (should be soon).

Not sure about the Harvard format, but bugs should be fixed there also.
  • Great, thanks, I'll be looking forward to 1.0.4.
  • I've just tested Zotero 1.0.4 (with Firefox 3 Beta 5), and all three bugs are still there.
  • You shouldn't need to, but try clicking Reset Translators and Styles in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs. I just tested these with 1.0.4/Chicago Author-Date, and all three bugs appear to be fixed. Harvard still displays two "(Bourdieu 1987)" citations without indicating which is which, but I don't know what the expected behavior is there.
  • Yes! That fixed it! Thank you very very much!
  • I've encountered an additional problem with American Psychological Association style using OpenOffice.org and Zotero 1.0.4 (which, btw, is considerably faster than 1.0.3 - thanks!). I have 3 references by the same author and want to cite them in the text as follows:

Fuster (1987, 1998, 2002) suggested that . . .

But Insert Citation doesn't allow "multiple sources" and "suppress author" to be selected together. My workaround has been to use "view editor" and manually remove the author. Still, this is a "legal" way to cite references in APA style and should be supported.
  • The "American Sociological Association" style has the same problems that the first poster identified.

And, yeah, I agree with ByteRider: 1.04 with Openoffice is way faster than the older versions (just in time, I might add: I'm doing the final clean up of my on my dissertation's long bibliography and I'm breezing through it with the current version). Thanks!