PDF auto-renaming

Hi,
I've search through the forum but still no idea about how to auto-rename the pdf files I download from journals.
This there any way to rename it to
%Author-%Title-%Journal-%Year.pdf
Many thanks.
  • edited April 8, 2008
    Zotero automatically renames PDFs it downloads as attachments to %Author-%Year-%Title and then truncates the file name at 50 characters. See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2160/

In the post I linked to you can see how to change the order of these fields through about:config. Currently author, year, and title are the only supported fields. If there is enough interest we can add journal title as well.

Note: This renaming only happens for articles Zotero downloads as attachments when importing references. If you want to rename other PDFs you will need to do so manually.
  • I'd like to see the journal, but I'd be even better to be able to see it as one of the zotero columns. It is much faster to make sense and find some articles this way.
    Thanks,
    M. Valma
  • "If you want to rename other PDFs you will need to do so manually."

How do you do this? If I choose 'show file' and just rename the file itself, then the database is out of sync.
    It would be handy to have an option 'rename' in the right-click menu for such items that would rename the file and update all references in the database.
  • Click the title in the right-hand pane.