Missing field not filled through duplicate merging

I have by accident deleted a field in an item in my database (clicked the minus button next to the author field).

I have searched the forums for how to update an item and fill missing fields, and it was suggested to use the duplicate function.

I therefore imported the same item via an identifier (DOI), and the new item contains all author fields as needed, and Zotero detects the new and the old item as duplicates.

However, when merging the items, the Author field(s) do not get filled, but they are simply discarded.

Is that working as intended or can I somehow get that to work as I need it?

Also, is there a way to have Zotero reindex all items in my database and check if the fields are complete?
  • However, when merging the items, the Author field(s) do not get filled, but they are simply discarded.

Is that working as intended or can I somehow get that to work as I need it?
    You're right that you can't choose the "master item" in this case (whereas with other fields, you have to "choose the version of the item to use as the master item"). Should be the case in the future, indeed.
    Also, is there a way to have Zotero reindex all items in my database and check if the fields are complete?
    Not at the moment. See: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18969/refetching-an-existing-item/