Zotero Integration Error: TypeError this.and.single is undefined

I was attempting to remove the & from the author list in the bibliography (for a new journal PeerJ):

> instead of this:
Roach NW, Edwards VT, & Hogben JH. 2004. The tale is in the tail: An alternative hypothesis for psychophysical performance variability in dyslexia. Perception 33:817 – 830.

> I wanted:
Roach NW, Edwards VT, Hogben JH. 2004. The tale is in the tail: An alternative hypothesis for psychophysical performance variability in dyslexia. Perception 33:817 – 830.

Editing the CSL in the Zotero Reference Test Pane, I thought I managed to remove it in the names macro, including and = "false", for example:

<macro name="author">
<names variable="author" suffix = ".">
<name name-as-sort-order="all" initialize-with="" sort-separator=" " delimiter = ", " and = "false"/>
</names>
</macro>

But when I installed the style and attempted to update my document, I received the following error:

Zotero Integration Error
Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
TypeError: this.and.single is undefined

Couldn't find anything directly related to this online so I went back to the code and removed "false". So the macro now looks like:

<macro name="author">
<names variable="author" suffix = ".">
<name name-as-sort-order="all" initialize-with="" sort-separator=" " delimiter = ", " and = ""/>
</names>
</macro>

I needed to restart word and then it was okay, displaying without the & in the bibliography.

Note: when debugging this in the Reference Test Pane, after I'd saved the CSL with the wrong coding and restarted, the example references wouldn't display or refresh.
  • Just remove the and="" completely.
  • http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name
    and="false" is not valid CSL.
    Remove and="xxxx" to get the desired output.
  • Thanks for the comment @fbennett

I found that without the and="", the default is to include the & but perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

And just to clarify, I managed to solve the issue but made the post in case someone else hits a similar problem. Apologies if this isn't the place to include this sort of information.
  • Cool - thanks for highlighting this @Gracile - that didn't click when I read the documentation - it's good to know.
  • I found that without the and="", the default is to include the & but perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
    Are you sure? You can paste your code on http://gist.github.com , save it as a public gist and post the link here.
  • We can take a look at your style if you like. Paste the code into http://gist.github.com, save it as a public gist, and post the URL back here. If you are getting & in the output, it must be set somewhere in the style. Note that the "and" attribute can be inherited.
  • Great - thanks, I'll see if I can find where it might be inherited from - half the fun seems to be in nutting this stuff out.
    And thanks for the support - very much appreciated and it's really helpful. Not sure how quickly I'll be able to get back to this.