Saving PDF annotations/comments in new Zotero version with Mac Preview

For the last month or two, zotero seems unable to save the annotated comments I put on PDF documents using Mac Preview. Has anyone else had this problem? I never had a problem with this before, so I'm guessing it has something to do with a new version of firefox or zotero. The PDFs open fine, and are still indexed fine, but after adding comments with Preview and saving them, they disapper when I reopen the PDF.

I have looked through discussions on this board to find the answer to my problem and couldn't seem to.

Also, is there any way to make PDFs automatically open in a separate window rather than in the Firefox browser? Perhaps this is contributing to the problem.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide. I really like Preview, Zotero, and taking notes in Preview.
  • Where did you save the annotated PDFs? Did you use "save as..."?
  • No just "save". When I download them I drag and drop to zotero, and then after annotating just press command+s (save). Before it always worked fine to save annotations in the file in zotero.
  • Also, is there any way to make PDFs automatically open in a separate window rather than in the Firefox browser? Perhaps this is contributing to the problem.
    "Open in External Viewer" will do that on a case-by-case basis.
    The "launchNonNativeFiles" hidden pref:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences#general_preferences
    permanently.
    Nothing has changed about this on the Zotero side and I'm surprised this wouldn't work anymore - Zotero just opens the file as you saved it, including annotations if there are any.
  • Thanks for the quick response. Will play around on my end and see if I can figure out what is going on.