Norton AntiVirus reports Suspicious.Cloud.7.F in nssckbi.dll (false positive)

I've just updated my Zotero Standalone 3.0.8 to 3.0.10 and Norton reported one of it's components as infected. Surely its is a false positive, but a member from the development team should check it and report it to the silly company called Norton.

Caminho completo: p:\zoterostandalone\xulrunner\nssckbi.dll
Ameaça: Suspicious.Cloud.7.F
Último uso 21/11/2012 em 01:00:57
Item de inicialização Não
Iniciado Não
Alto
O risco deste arquivo é alto.

Impressão digital do arquivo - MD5:
0f23d247a982acecf95d968fdfd27aff
  • Yes, it's a false positive. Previously reported with SeaMonkey. We'll see if we can do something about this, but that thread makes it sound like Norton knew about this several months ago and still hasn't fixed it.
  • edited November 20, 2012
    Actually, this page suggests that this may already be fixed on Norton's end. Have you tried updating your virus definitions?
  • Yep, it is up to date. The last automatic update from virus definitions was done at the same time I was manually updating my Zotero. I've restored the file as described at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2013-Mozilla-Instantbird-nssckbi-dll-flagged-and-removed/td-p/852490 and now it's all ok on my machine.

But the silly heuristic from Norton may break more Zotero installs everywhere
  • edited November 20, 2012
    Reported and submited the bogus file at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/
  • Happened to me just now during install of Zotero 3.0.12. I don't know how to fix the problem on my Win7 computer.
  • edited February 7, 2013
    It sounds like reporting this as a false positive for Zotero 3.0.11 was insufficient to stop Norton from detecting a false positive in the ever so slightly different version of the file that ships with Zotero 3.0.12. I reported the false positive again. You should contact Norton for instructions on how to restore it.
  • I just got freebl3.dll detected as Suspicious.Cloud.7.F updating from 4.0.11 to 4.0.16. (full path: c:\program files (x86)\zotero standalone\xulrunner\freebl3.dll). File submitted to Symantec. Treating as a false positive. Will let you know if it isn't!
  • xMarc: Thanks for submitting. Also reported here and here.
  • I'm getting the same Suspicious.Cloud.7.F on freebl3.dll that others are getting (Zotero 4). I allowed the installation to proceed and it worked... for awhile. Then Norton screamed out a heuristic virus and required me to reboot to fully remove the virus. After that, I'm back to the login database corrupted message in Zotero.

I think Zotero needs to check this... I'm uncomfortable just forcing an override when twice now (with different signatures) Norton is saying there is a virus in the Zotero installation.
  • Zotero has checked this. (Dan above is the lead developer). This is definitely a Norton bug - also indicated by the fact that only Norton thinks this is a virus. This is, frankly, not terribly impressive and maybe an occasion to rethink your antivirus solution...

It is, btw. not even a file that Zotero itself codes, but a part of xulrunner, the software kit underlying Firefox, so it will affect other software as well.
  • There's really nothing Zotero can check. If you Google norton+freebl3.dll you'll see that it keeps popping up every few months and causes problems for most Mozilla-based applications.
  • As adamsmith and aurimas say, these are definitely false positives. The files it's flagging are part of Mozilla's Network Security Services, which is a core piece of Internet technology used by many applications to handle HTTPS connections. Malware that wants to make HTTPS connections (to hide its tracks) or intercept local HTTPS connections (to steal logins, say) probably bundles these as well, hence the heuristic detection. For the moment the best thing you can do is submit these to Norton as false positives, but we're going to see if we can do anything on our end to prevent them in the future (e.g., by signing the affected libraries).
  • @Dan, the libraries don't come from Mozilla pre-signed? Or do you compile XULRunner from source?
  • Thanks @all... I'm not sure why this is showing up. Maybe it has something to do with the incredible frequency of Firefox updates. Norton states that there are many thousands of users, it also states it as a high risk and released only 26 days ago.