First Name in lowercase should appear with capitalized Initial in Bibliography

Hallo,

I want to initialize and capitalize every first name. This works fine if I type in the first name with a capitalized first letter. If I have a first name written completely in lowercase it will appear completely in lowercase in my Bibliography.
E.g.:
Einstein, Albert; will appear as Einstein A.
Einstein, albert; will appear as Einstein albert

Is there a way to capitalize and initialize the first name, even if the first name is written in lowercase?

Here's an excerpt from my style.
Thank you very much for your help!!
Daniel

<macro name="author">
<names variable="author">
<name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=" " initialize-with="." delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always" font-weight="bold"/>
<label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
<substitute>
<names variable="editor"/>
<names variable="translator"/>
<text macro="title"/>
</substitute>
</names>
</macro>
  • edited November 13, 2012
    Two issues here: initialization and capitalization.

As for capitalization, with your code, the csl-processor just reproduces what's in the Zotero field (btw, did you automatically import these data or manually entered them?)

But even with your code, there's a strange thing (I don't think it's the intended behaviour): I see no reason to display the full given name whereas "initialize-with" is set. The case should have no effect on initialization.
    Einstein Albert => Einstein A. [ok]
    Einstein albert => Einstein albert [given should be initialized]
    einstein Albert => einstein A. [ok]
    einstein albert => einstein albert [given should be initialized]
    So you can edit your code to add "name-part":
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name-part-formatting
    <macro name="author">
    <names variable="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=" "
    initialize-with="." delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always" font-weight="bold">
    <name-part name="family" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
    <name-part name="given" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
    </name>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>

But, strangely, even with this code, given-names in lowercase are not initialized nor capitalized.
    Einstein Albert => Einstein A. [ok]
    Einstein albert => Einstein albert [given should be initialized and capitalized]
    einstein Albert => Einstein A. [ok]
    einstein albert => Einstein albert [given should be initialized and capitalized]
  • I would think this is to prevent name particles (like "von" "van" "de" etc.) to be initialized and capitalized.
    I don't know if there is a good solution, fbennett or Rintze would know more.
    Why do you have poor albert in lowercase in the first place?
  • edited November 16, 2012
    Good point.
    And, yes, that was my question: automatically imported (this should be fixed once for all) or manually added.
  • Hi both of you and thanks very much for your replies.
    The data have been manually added. I'm helping writing within a scientific research team. And we have a huge amount of references. Some of my research fellows inserted the names in lowercase and I wanted to know if there's a way in the style to fix that problem or if we have to change our data manually.

Thanks so much
    All the best
    Daniel
  • edited November 16, 2012
    Change them manually. No other solution at the moment.
    (A transform text option for the Creator field is planned: http://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/39 )