how to fix my sync chaos

I'm not really sure how I did it but here it goes.

Computer 1:
1. I used zotero in firefox.
2. I added zot file and specifed a directory for pdf attachments to save.
3. I added zotero stand alone. Not sure why, but I'm guessing I selected the wrong thing when I installed it as the "preference/advance data location" is different.
4. My firefox syncs to other computers. I'm guessing this matters.

Computer 2:
I do use another computer and would love access to my attachments as needed.

Questions: How do I combine everything and keep it happy and accessible from multiple locations. I read the zotpad info too.

1. My zotero library in general. Both sync to the server BUT it looks like they save to different places (one is custom to Application support/firefox/profiles/shxxyidq.default/zotero. Are they same thing?

2. How do I find all the attachments related to zotero? I just want to combine everyone and throw it up on dropbox for the attachments.

I found the back-up article on zotero helpful but not exactly what I needed to find these files as they seem to be different then the data files per the back-up library article. I'm sure I missed something.

3. I've never saved via zotfile on computer 2, which does not have zotero standalone.

I'm making my own head spin, so can someone point me in the correct direction?
If you see anything else that might go wrong here, let me know. Thank you.
  • Question 1: One is custom and the other says profile directory so I think they are the same. The question is, can I change them both to say the same thing without hurting it?
  • Are both computers syncing to the same Zotero account?
  • By default the program (Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone) you install second will offer to share the existing data directory. It's easy enough to see if this is the case by clicking Show Data Directory for each. You can also just open Zotero Standalone while Zotero for Firefox is open, in which case, if they're sharing the same data directory, Zotero for Firefox will switch into a lightweight connector mode where clicking on the bottom Zotero icon will just bring Standalone to the front. If you're able to see your items list in both at the same time, they're not using the same data directory.

For syncing, see these articles:

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
  • However, if your PDFs and other files aren't stored within the data directory, you're on your own for syncing them. I'm not totally sure what you're asking on that part, but there's no way through Zotero to easily find all your linked files.