trouble integrating Word 2008 (Mac)

Apologies if this has come up before -- I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a recent relevant case.

I'm using Mac OS X (10.8), Firefox 16.0.2, and Word 2008 for Mac. I just got a new computer and decided to install Zotero 3.0 (and the related Word plugin.) Suddenly, I can't get Word to talk to Zotero/Firefox. When I tried making a new document and inserting a footnote, it let me choose my preference for style of citation, but then I got a dialog box saying "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here." I also tried opening a document with lots of Zotero-made footnotes in it and editing a citation; when I click on "edit citation" the computer simply moves Firefox to the front of the screen, but doesn't open up a dialog box that would let me edit the citation.

This is rotten timing as I have a lot of stuff due in the next week or two, so help would be appreciated! I tried restarting my computer, restarting both Word and Firefox, and re-installing both Zotero and the Word plugin, but other than that I'm out of ideas. Thanks.