"Un-plug" Option for Zotero Plugin

I use Zotero regularly on three different machines with my db stored on a network share.

Often, I like to leave Firefox (FF) open on a particular machine to preserve many open tabs of pages (eg, I use a Google plugin that allows me to sinc my FF instances on each machine, so these tabs "follow me"). However, this generally means trouble for the integrity of the db file, so now I (try to remember to) shut down FF when I leave a machine.

So, my request: Is it possible to have a feature - perhaps accessible as a menu item or button - to "un-plug" Zotero without closing Firefox?

After "un-pluging", the db would be released by FF and backed up. On the next machine, I would start FF (if necessary) and then "Plug in" Zotero (select the menu item). After "pluging", Zotero would read the db and be ready to go.

This would be very, very helpful and very, very cool :)

Does FF architecture allow this?
  • Does FF architecture allow this?
    In Firefox 2 it's not possible to close the DB connection without closing Firefox. Firefox 3 provides a close method, though we haven't tested it yet. If it works, it'll allow for a number of features that aren't currently possible.