Show what's already in the library

When I'm looking at a page (article, etc) I can see the star at the end of the address bar that means I've bookmarked the page in Firefox. Next to that, I see a Zotero translator icon that would allow me to add it to my Zotero library - but I'm pretty sure it's already there! Clicking anyway leads to a lot of unnecessary duplication in the library. It would be nice if there were something about that icon that was visually different (such as a checkmark over it, with a semitransparent white oval fading out from center, behind the checkmark in front of the base icon) in the event that something in my library already had the same URL or digital object ID.

Naturally, it's not as simple as it sounds because you have to figure out how to match in the presence of potentially-irrelevant (e. g. session-token) or missing (?) URL parameters, and account for the fact that a user may have tweaked or supplemented the bibliographic data since it was first entered (in which case, it's even more important to not have dupes, as the new dupe will have information the user considers to be incorrect).

Still, this would be a nice feature.
  • Have a look at this:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/zotero-dev/prevent$20duplicates/zotero-dev/yJLUTttGMXk/22i1GRuyQ7UJ
    it does work pretty nicely if you're using Firefox, but the thread also highlights limitations - especially in extending this to the connectors - that will take a solid amount of work to iron out.
  • Thanks for linking that relevant content in!