Page Number field for quotation?

Hi!
I am using zotero to collect quotations of books. I add some notes to a book and every note is a specific quotation. Now I would like to have a field for the pagenumber where the quotation appears in the book. Of course I could just write the pagenumber at the end of the quote, but I then have now way in sorting the quotes by page number.

Does anybody knows how I could solve this problem?

Thanks for any hint,
Thomas
  • Add the page number in the beginning of the quote with leading zeros and Zotero will sort them by that.
  • Ok, that's not a bad idea... Thank you! But shouldn't this task be a main feature of zotero because it is programmed to manage quotations?

Maybe it would be an helpful idea to implement beside the notes another thing called "quote" with fields like title, page number, book, a.s.o.

Anayways, thank you!
    Thomas
  • Zotero is not really a quotation management software, but a bibliography manager. It goes to the level of a published article, book or book chapter, but not to quotation level.
  • Ok, your absolutely right. But it would be quiet easy to implement and I think also very helpful. Basically it's a note with some more fields added. Even better would be, if you could add custom fields to a note but maybe this is really too much and causes many problems with the database.

Have a nice sunday,
    Thomas
  • I agree that something like this would be potentially a useful feature. Particularly if combined with ZotFile's annotation extraction capability.

However, it may not be as easy to implement as you think. Because of this, we might not see it any time soon.

(If it is easy for you, then you should go and implement it and submit a pull request at github)
  • I think there is broad agreement this would be nice - see Rintze's proposal and some of the following fleshing out of it here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/17270/page-numbers/
    which includes comments from many power users & community devs
  • Thanks for pointing there.
    I'll follow the posts over there.

Cheers and thanks for this awesome work,
    Thomas
This discussion has been closed.