Typing in search box expands children in current view.

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or not (it results from a combination of what may be individually logical behaviors, together unexpected) but here are steps to reproduce.

1. Create a new item that has a child, such as a snapshot of a Web page.
2. Create a new collection that has only that item in it.
3. Switch to viewing that collection, and notice that there is one item listed and it's collapsed (so you can't see the children) by default.
4. In the search field, type the first letter of the item title.

Actual results:
5. The one item in the view expands to show its children.

Expected results:
5. Nothing changes about the current view.

(Also expected is that I can finish typing in the query, realize I've failed to select search over the whole library, and either press Enter again or select My Library and have the search repeat without having to retype it...but that's a different issue.)
  • edited October 25, 2012
    That's intended, if at least one of the attachments also contains the search term (which it likely does when you're searching for the title).
    (Also expected is that I can finish typing in the query, realize I've failed to select search over the whole library, and either press Enter again or select My Library and have the search repeat without having to retype it...but that's a different issue.)
    that's a frequent request and some version of a search history or so is planned - the search would still clear when you switch collections (that, again, is intentional), but you'd be able to go to your old search term with one click.
  • The one item in the view expands to show its children.
    That should only happen in "All Fields & Tags" and "Everything" mode, if the child item matches the search. "Title, Creator, Year" mode searches only top-level items. Click the arrow in the search box to change modes.

Also note the difference between black and gray rows in a search (which would be clearer in My Library). Gray rows don't match and are just context rows. So if the child item in your search is black, you're using a mode and search query that are matching the child item.
  • Whether it is intended or not, it is one of the most irritating habits zotero has. Everything I need to see is in the top level node. If I need to see which child matched the search I can expand it, normally I just want to see the title of the paper in which there was a match. When everything gets expanded I can see approximately a quarter of the number of results I could see if everything was collapsed. Also, visually the results are much harder to scan as there my eye has to ignore all the expanded children.

There are also some strange behaviours such as if I drag and drop a collapsed node into a different sub-collection everything gets expanded again. This really is the worst as I've spent some time collapsing the nodes and then zotero just goes and expands them all by itself for no reason.

A collapse-all and/or expand-all button context-menu option would be great for me, I would use it all the time but I think the best option is not to expand the nodes at all until the user does it manually.
  • You can collapse/expand all by clicking anywhere in the items list and pressing "-" (minus) or "+" (plus) on your keyboard.
  • A collapse-all and/or expand-all button context-menu option
    the "-" and "+" keys on your keyboard do this.
  • Thank you very much.