items saved from esajournals.org do not include the extract

I'm using Zotero Standalone 3.0.999.SOURCE.6586d30, and Zotero 3.08 for Firefox with Firefox 16.0.1 on 64 bit Kubuntu 12.04.1. When saving items from esajournals.org, abstracts do not get saved. The abstract field for the item is empty. This is the case for both Standalone and Add-on.
  • edited October 24, 2012
    correct.
    The abstracts aren't in the citation data output from the page. We can, generally speaking, scrape the abstract from the page directly, but currently that requires a relatively substantial rewrite of the translator, so it won't happen super quickly, but I'll try to get to it eventually.
  • Is this translator specific? I just checked the ris file that I could output from esajournals.org and the one from nature.com. Neither had an abstract yet items saved to Zotero from nature.com include the abstract. OK, I see what you mean. I just checked an ris file exported from sciencedirect. The export gave the option of citation or citation and abstract. I'm going to write ESA and request that.
  • yes it's translator specific. We do grab the abstract off the page for a number of sites - but obviously having it right in the RIS is preferable.
  • actually - that wasn't so hard. Abstracts and tags now import. It should also attach PDFs to Standalone, at least in my tests it did.
    Your copy of Zotero will auto-update within 24hs or you can update immediately from the General tab of the Zotero preferences.
    Any problems, please let us know.
  • Before I read this message I saved an item from esajournals.org. I just went back and checked and it did save the abstract as well. Cool.

Then, just to test, I enabled the save associated PDFs option in Standalone. With that option enabled, it fails to save the item from the page at all with the message "Could not save item. An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information."
  • that's Firefox saving to Standalone?
  • I see a small chance that this is related to the fact that you're running different versions of Standalone and Zotero for Firefox (any reason for that btw?). I tested this from Chrome via proxy and it works, I'll take another look via Firefox.
  • I gave it another try with my Zotero build at a different location with a much better internet connection just to make sure that wasn't the issue. ( I'm using that build because I'm trying to work on a patch to fix some annoying file picker behavior, http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/25837/attach-link-to-file-file-picker/#Item_10. )

Then I gave it a try with Zotero Standalone 3.0.8 and had the same problem. I disabled "Automatically attach associated PDFS" but no luck. Then I disabled "Automatically take snapshots", which I like to have disabled, and still no luck with both options disabled. Next I updated the translators again but I'm still broken.

I uninstalled the keyconfig extension and tried it all again but still no luck. I re-enabled snapshots and PDF saves and tried with an article from cell.com and that worked fine.

I've been using these two articles as tests for esajournals.org:
    http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-0154.1?prevSearch=coexistence&searchHistoryKey=
    http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-0154.1?prevSearch=coexistence&searchHistoryKey=

In order to paste shorter URLs here, I loaded up http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-0154.1 and http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-2422.1. Then just for kicks I tested them. Using these URLs, the articles were added to my library with snapshots but without PDFs.

Using the previous URLs, the results of esajournals.org searches, I get the translation issue dialog again. Actually, I get the little box but without any text. The only way I knew it was the failure was that when I clicked in the blank box it took me to the known translator issues website.

So, at the moment, it looks like Firefox and Standalone will import items from esajournals.org, but not the PDFs, unless the web page is the result of an esajournals.org search. Then it won't import at all.
  • I see, yes, that makes sense.
    Update translators again and try again, this should be fixed now.
    I still don't know about the PDFs, I don't really see why that shouldn't work and as I say - it does for me using Chrome as a connector.
  • Now it gets the item into my library with snapshots even if it is a search result page. It still doesn't get the PDF whether it's a search result or not.
  • is all this with proxy or also without? If it's all with proxy, could you post a full URL with proxy (if need be with the name of your school xxxd out). If you've also tried to get the PDF unsuccessfully without proxy never mind. And just to confirm - using just the FF add-on you're getting both Snapshot and PDF, correct?
  • Yes, up to this point everything has been done via proxy. I'm not sure what the full URL would be. I just configure Firefox to use an "Automatic proxy configuration URL". Then the URL I see in the location bar is the same as if I wasn't using a proxy.

I just got to run all of these tests again without the proxy. Everything works fine in both Add-on and Standalone. That is, the abstract, pdf, and snapshot were all saved via full-text view and via abstract view both directly and via search results of the journal's internal search.

Then I repeated using the proxy again. Everything worked properly again with Add-on. However, with Standalone the pdf was never retrieved although both the abstract and the snapshot were properly retrieved in each case.
  • I believe this is currently to be expected while using proxies and connectors with standalone. I don't think this will be improved in the immediate future. Using Zotero with Firefox is currently the best choice for proxies.