Stop applying “default”/“Normal”/“Standard” style to citations and their paragraphs

Under the heading 'References appear in the wrong font in Word/LibreOffice', the online documentation states that
The word processor plug-ins apply the 'default' (LibreOffice/OpenOffice) or 'Normal'/'Standard' (Word) style to generated citations and the paragraph in which they are inserted. The bibliography is rendered in a different style - 'bibliography'. As a result, inserting a citation with Zotero can remove formatting (such as indents, line-spacing, font size, etc.) from an entire paragraph and the citation can appear in an unwanted font or format.
The 'solution' suggested on the same page is as follows:
You can correct the formatting by adjusting the standard/default style (for citations) and the bibliography style (for the bibliography) in your word processor.
This is not a solution at all, as it still means that it is not possible to insert citations into paragraphs of different styles without making them uniform.

I would suggest that applying the default/Normal/Standard style to any citation and the surrounding paragraph is not a feature, but a bug, and would be very grateful if it could be fixed.

If people disagree, and insist on considering it a feature, then I should like to request, as a feature, the possibility to make it optional, so that I can insert citations without changing the style of any given paragraph to default/Normal/Standard, and thus not have to change it back to the style I had previously applied to the paragraph to which I added the citation.
  • I raised this request four years ago, and see that there has been no action on or response to it.

I'd very much be able to insert references into paragraphs to which I have applied styles other than default/Normal/Standard, without having then to change the style back. Is there a way of doing this? At the moment my only (somewhat clumsy) workaround is to insert the style on the following line, and then use delete to bring it into the paragraph in which I want it. Is there a better solution than this?