Default application

I downloaded the zotero open office.org/libreoffice/neoOffice plugin, and also the zotero word for mac add-on, but when I open the downloads I get the following error message: "There is no default application specified to open the document"

What does this mean?
  • If you're using Zotero Firefox, install the word processor plugins from this page (with Firefox). These are FF extensions (xpi files) which can only be installed in Firefox.

If you're using Zotero standalone, you have to install the word processor plugin froms the "Cite" pane of the Zotero preferences (gear icon).
  • The plug-ins that I downloaded from the Zotero download page show up in the "Cite" pane. The problem is that when I click "Install Extension" and also "Install Word Add-In" I get the following error message:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.
    [Exception... "'You can't save the file Zotero.dot because the volume Zotero is read only. @[install:install.m:64]' when calling method: [nsIRunnable::run]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: resource://zotero-macword-integration/installer.jsm :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 67" data: no]
  • The plug-ins that I downloaded from the Zotero download page show up in the "Cite" pane.
    They don't, actually. They're just already bundled with Zotero Standalone. You don't need to download anything else.
    You can't save the file Zotero.dot because the volume Zotero is read only.
    You're running Zotero from the disk image. You have to copy it to your Applications folder first and run it from there.
  • Thanks, but how do I copy it from my applications folder, and where is that located? Dumb question, I know, but I usually need step-by-step instructions when it comes to techy stuff. Sorry!
  • I found my applications folder and noticed that Zotero is in fact downloaded to that folder. Unfortunately, running it from that location rather than from the dock where it is also located, does not do anything different. I am still unable to insert citations or bibliographies into word documents. I think this is because for some reason the plug-ins are not working? When I click on the squiggly icon next to the "help" feature on my toolbar, there are only two items in the drop-down menu and they are: "about this menu" and "sample automator workflows". Shouldn't I be able to see other menu options that allow me to start using the citation and bib features?
  • I finally got it all figured out on my own and working, but I had to uninstall Zotero and re-install it three times and then install and uninstall the Word plug-ins several times, even though the standalone is supposed to have plug-ins bundled in. I probably should have gone with a different software tool entirely. Not sure two solid days of messing around with plug-ins and Zotero was worth it.