Adding a citation style from the style repository using Chrome

Hi,
I just noticed that the Zotero style repository page has been changed so that you can simply click on the style title (rather than an install link) to add the new style. That is great (I teach Zotero workshops and people would frequently click on the title in an attempt to install the style and would be confused by the resulting code page). However, when I try to add a style from the repository via Chrome, I only get the code page. Is this a glitch or is the intention that I need to save the actual code and upload it when using Chrome?

Thanks,
Hannah
  • In Firefox, Zotero intercepts the download based on the content type and offers to install it. The connectors don't (and maybe can't—I'm not sure) currently do this, so you'll need to save the style as a .csl file and open it, which should cause Standalone to offer to install it. You can also add the saved file from the Cite->Styles pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks for the response Dan - okay, I know how to save/add the .csl files. Maybe it would be helpful to add a note on the citation styles documentation page (http://www.zotero.org/support/styles) about this variability between the Firefox and Standalone versions (and also update the information that still points to clicking "install") so that people don't feel they are encountering an error?
  • edited October 11, 2012
    Thanks for the response Dan - okay, I know how to save/add the .csl files. Maybe it would be helpful to add a note on the citation styles documentation page (http://www.zotero.org/support/styles) about this variability between the Firefox and Standalone versions (and also update the information that still points to clicking "install") so that people don't feel they are encountering an error?
    yes, please. The lack of any mention of this being different for Standalone is a real issue there and should be easy enough to fix.
  • I have the standalone version on a mac. how can I save the style as a .csl file? when I click on my journal title it just gives me the code. Thank you.
  • From http://www.zotero.org/support/styles: "With Zotero Standalone, you first have to download the style to your computer. Right-click the style title and select “Save Link as…” to download the style. Then double-click the downloaded file while Zotero Standalone is running to install it, or use one of the alternative installation methods described below."
  • Hi Nnevarezt,
    Copy the code that you see when you click on the journal title into a Notepad document (or whatever the Mac equivalent is), then save that Notepad file as a .csl file (instead of a .txt file). Next, go back to the Zotero tool bar, choose Actions>Preferences>Cite>Styles. On the styles page, instead of choosing the "get additional styles" link (as you did to get into the Zotero style repository), click on the "+" button to add a file. Browse to where your saved .csl file is and save it to your styles list.

Hannah