Syncing between the laptop, the web, and various other computers.

On my home laptop, I have the 3.0.8 version of Zotero for Firefox, with the Zotero Word for Windows Integration 3.1.8 as well.

In uni, I use various different computers (most with Zotero for Firefox and Word, I'm sure).

I'd like to know whether I can make changes to my Zotero library while on a uni computer, and if I then go home, the changes will be visible on my laptop automatically. OR if I need to save my Zotero library as a file (what type?), and then download this (having saved the file onto my external hard drive / usb / Dropbox account) BEFORE I start making changes to the version I have at home...

Does this make any sense? Basically I'm worried about making changes on one computer and then uploading/downloading a library that will undo some of the changes I've made and cause me to lose references or folders, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Amy
  • what's the set-up of the computers at the university? Do you have your own account on them? Can you sync them with Zotero?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/sync
    If so, then yes, changes you make to your library will sync to the Zotero server and from there to your computer at home. Make sure you have auto-sync turned on and keep an eye on the sync item on the top right of Zotero to make sure there are no error.

If you don't have your own account on those computers, then all of this won't work, though.