add "p." and "pp." to Chicago Manual of Style (Full note)

Hi, I would like to ask how to:
1. edit the Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note)
- add "p." and "pp." to pages
- after the first citation of Daniel Roche, abbreviate first name to
D. Roche in the succeeding citations
2. how do I install the new style to my Zotero (in Firefox, not
standalone)?

Thank you very much.
  • all modifications of Chicago Manual are a bit tricky, since the style is complex.
    Especially the second one takes a good amount of effort. What is this for? Have you ever modified a CSL style?
  • Thank you for replying to my post. I have never edited CS style before, i tried but the programming language was just overwhelming. I tried searching in the forums but I can't seem to find any.
  • you can try if this helps,
    http://steveridout.com/csl/visualEditor/
    (at the very least it will tell you how to install it when you're done)
    but as I say, starting this with Chicago is not going to be easy.
    Again, though, what is this for?

I'm sorry I'm not just giving you a solution, problem is that would take me somewhere around 30mins to write up in an understandable way.
  • I have tried to update the CSL style to add p. and pp. to 'point-locator' macros, but I'm having trouble making the spaces after the locator label work properly :-( I'm using the visualEditor, but i'm obviously missing something, as the spacing is correct with books and chapters but not in the case of subsequent journal articles.

Does anyone know where I could find ready made CSL that does this simple change to the Chicago Manual of Style (it seems a common enough deviation to me).

Otherwise any hints as to how I can fix my custom CSL would be appreciated
  • edited January 27, 2023
    I know this is an old discussion, but I figured out how to edit the Chicago style to achieve the first request: Adding “p.” and “pp.” to citations (I’m afraid I didn’t attempt the second request).

Add <label variable="locator" form="short"/> at the end of the section <macro name="point-locators">, just above <text variable="locator" form="short" prefix=" "/>. It should look like this:

<macro name="point-locators">
    <choose>
    <if variable="locator">
    <choose>
    <if locator="page" match="none">
    <choose>
    <if type="bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if variable="volume">
    <group>
    <text term="volume" form="short" suffix=" "/>
    <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
    <label prefix=", " suffix=" " variable="locator" form="short"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <label variable="locator" form="short" suffix=" "/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    <else>
    <label variable="locator" form="short" suffix=" "/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    <else-if type="bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <number variable="volume" form="numeric" suffix=":"/>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    <label variable="locator" form="short"/>
    <text variable="locator" form="short" prefix=" "/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>