Many errors this morning -- after an Apple software update

A bunch of things just broke this morning, such as:

1. Every time I start Firefox, I get an alert that "The Zotero database 'zotero.sqlite' appears to have become corrupted", and that the data was restored from the last backup.
- Then, as Firefox finishes starting, I get an error that "The Zotero database 'zotero' appears to have become corrupted. Please restart Firefox..."
- When I start the zotero extension, the sync seems to run correctly and the resulting data looks like it should. But, if I restart Firefox again I get into the same 'database corrupt' cycle.

2. The icon in the address bar stopped appearing. It fails to appear when I am on a PubMed page, a Nature.com page, or a plosone.org page. I also tested this by using 'View Online' to navigate to the nature.com page of an article I added yesterday; so yesterday the icon was there and today it isn't. (btw, a user reported a similar problem last week but in my case I do not have the same issue with a proxy address).

3. I can't import an RIS file, e.g. a citation I saved from a plosone.org page.

I'm using zotero 3.08, on firefox 15.0.1, on OSX 10.6.8. I checked for updates to zotero and firefox, and they are the latest versions.

Earlier this morning, I installed a set of Apple software updates. These included a Java update. My current version of Java SE is 1.6.0_35-b10-428 . I think there was an OSX update too (along with one for iTunes and some developer tool), but I didn't really pay that much attention.
  • please also provide an error report ID:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • The report ID is 1701970705

Also, I have uploaded my sqlite database to the database repair tool. Will I get a notice when that's complete?
  • Try this

within FF, temporarily disable Zotero
    restart FF don't enable Zotero yet
    quit FF
    If you have Zotero standalone be sure to quit that too.
    restart your computer
    Check again for updates to the operating system, install if available
    If there was an update to anything, restart even if not required
    Once that is complete, open FF
    enable Zotero
    restart FF

Dont skip a step.

I think that Zotero will work. At least, this sequence worked when i helped someone using 10.6 after a messy system and FF upgrade.
  • edited October 4, 2012
    I did all the steps, but I still get the same error.
  • Disabling and reenabling Zotero wouldn't do anything here.

djcrowley: It looks like you have a corrupted database. I'm not sure what you mean by "Will I get a notice when that's complete?" regarding the DB Repair Tool—it's just an automated tool that processes your database immediately. When it finishes, it displays a webpage with instructions. What are you seeing?
  • Thank you, the db repair tool fixed the problem.

Dan, I must have navigated away from the web page before receiving the response. But this morning it worked fine.

I'm very grateful for the support!

/dave