Bibliography format for Nature journal

There seem to be some errors in the Nature journal style when I generate a bibliography:

- "et al." isn't italicized although it should be
- there is a space between the reference numbers and the following period
(e.g. "1 . Pool, W.A. et al. ..."
- journal names should be abbreviated

The author guide of Nature:
http://www.nature.com/nature/authors/gta/
  • yes, I think there are errors in 'Nature' style. Is there any possiblity to correct them?
  • Automatic journal abbreviation is not trivial, and has been discussed here many times. You'll need to manually change them.

The et-ail thing requires changes in CSL and Zotero. I hope/expect those will get resolved soon.

The space: are you saying there shouldn't be?
  • But some support for abbreviations has already been implemented. I just generated two bibliographies (by copying them to the clipboard) with respectively the Nature and National Library of Medicine (NLM) styles:

1 . Pool, W.A. et al. Natural sweetening of food products by engineering Lactococcus lactis for glucose production. Metabolic engineering 8, 456-64 (2006).

1 . Pool WA, Neves AR, Kok J, Santos H, Kuipers OP. Natural sweetening of food products by engineering Lactococcus lactis for glucose production. Metab Eng. 2006 Sep ;8(5):456-64.

The journal name is abbreviated for the second bibliography style, but not for the first. For this particular paper, the "publication" and "journal abbr"-fields are filled with the full and abbreviated journal name, respectively.

I now see that also for the NLM-style there is an extra space after the 1. And yes, those spaces shouldn't be there.
  • Hmm, so you're complaining about the space that precedes the "."; yes?

If so, then that's a bug in Zotero (and I need to revert the change I just checked in to remove the space after the "."!).
  • Yes, the space before the period. It also shows up with the IEEE style, with a space before the closing bracket:

[1 ] J.F. Tschopp et al., “GAL2 codes for a membrane-bound subunit of the galactose permease in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 166, Apr. 1986, pp. 313-318.
  • My guess is a) this is indeed a bug, and b) you'll see the same behavior in all number styles. E.g. that's not coded in the style.
  • I am trying to duplicate this extra space and it just is not happening for me. Rintze how are you generating these bibliographies? I just tested this with Nature, NLM, Chicago, and a few others, each in the drag and drop, "create bibliography" and MS Word means for creating bibliographies and in each case there was no extra space after the number.
  • I tested the drag and drop action and the "create bibliography" option (to the clipboard and to RTF). I get the extra space for both, on two different computers (both Windows XP SP2). In both cases I run Zotero 1.0.3. Updating the styles or resetting the translators and styles doesn't solve it.

Perhaps it is noteworthy that the Chicago Manual of Style (Note without Bibliography), also a numbering style, doesn't include the space:

1. J F Tschopp et al., “GAL2 codes for a membrane-bound subunit of the galactose permease in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.,” J. Bacteriol. 166, no. 1 (April 1, 1986): 313-318.