Style Request: Journal of American Ceramic Society

Here is the description for how to format references:

SoE Reference Style for Different Reference Types:

Based on the American Ceramic Society
Note italics, bold, and punctuation are particular to the SoE style.
In a reference list citations are numbered
Field Names are in maroon

Journal Article:

Author, "Title," Journal (abbreviated), Volume [Issue] Page Range (Year).
D. Edwards and T. O. Mason, "Subsolidus Phase Relations in the Ga2O3-In2O3-SnO2 System," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 81 [12] 3285-92 (1998).
Note: Journal title must be in the internationally recognized CASSI abbreviations. For page range do not repeat digits. If issue or number (in brackets) is not available (check original source (it often is not on article itself], place a comma between volume and year. Formulas need subscripts when appropriate.
Book

Author, Title, Edition ed., Vol. Volume; Ch. Chapter p./pp. Page Range. Edited by Editor. Publisher, City, State or Country, Year.
A. K. Varshneya, Fundamentals of Inorganic Glasses, 2nd ed.; pp. 3-7. Academic Press, Boston, MA, 2006.
Note: Use postal abbreviations for states. Do not put state (or country) if city is well-known.
Edited Book (use for an edited book without authored sections)

Series Title, Book Title, Edition ed., Vol. Volume; p./pp. Page Range. Publisher, City, State or Country, Year.
Phase Diagrams for Ceramists, Vol. 8; Figs. 7943, 7969. Edited by B. O. Mysen. American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1990.
Note: Titles of series are not italicized
Book Section (use for a book that has authored sections)

Author, "Title"; p./pp. Page Range in Series Title, Vol. Volume #, Book Title. Edited by Editor. Publisher, City, State or Country, Year.
J. R. Varner, "Descriptive Fractography"; pp. 635-44 in Engineered Materials Handbook, Vol. 4, Ceramics and Glasses. Edited by S. J. Schneider, Jr. ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1991.
Note: Volume always follows the title of the book or series title. If
Conference Paper (sometimes a conference proceeding can be cited as a Journal Article style. Check CASSI lists of abbreviations. If there is an abbreviation, it can be cited similar to a journal article)

As a serial:

K. R. Rossington and W. M. Carty, "The Effects of Ionic Concentration in the Viscosity of a Clay-based System ," Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 19 [2] 65-76 (1998).
As a book section:

H. Giesche, "Special Hysteresis Effects in N2-sorption and Mercury-porosimetry Measurements"; pp. 251-8 in Microporous and Macroporous Materials, Vol. 431, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings. Edited by R.F. Lobo, J.S. Beck, S.L. Suib, D. R. Corbin, M. E. Davis, L. E. Iton, and S. I. Zones. Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1996.
Computer Program

Programmer, Title, Version, [Computer Program] Publisher, City, State or Country, Year

SciGlass 3.5. [CD-ROM]. SciVision, Burlington, MA, 1999.
Electronic Source (Internet)

Author, "Title" (Year) Sponsor. Accessed on: Access Date (month year). Available at <URL>
A. N. Cormack, "Flaws Declawed: Applying Defects in Ceramics" (1993) In Discovery: Insights through Advanced Computing, Cornell University. Accessed on: October 1999. Available at <http://www.tc.cornell.edu/er/sci93/dis08flaws/dis08flaws.html>;
Patent

Inventor, Assignee, "Title," Country Patent Number, Month Year.
J. Sehgal and L. D. Pye, "Strengthening Glass Articles with Electromagnetic Radiation and Resulting Product," U.S. Pat. 5,102,833, July 1992.
Private Communication

Correspondent, Institution, City, State or Country, Month Year, Private Communication.
R. De Rosa, Alfred University, Alfred, NY, January 1998, Private Communication.
Thesis

Author, "Title"; Thesis Type `Thesis`. University, City, State or Country, Year.
J. A. Taylor, "The Role of Silica in Positive Temperature Coefficient of Resistance Barium Titanate: Characterization of Thermistors"; Ph.D. Thesis. Alfred University, Alfred, NY, 1987.
Technical Report

Author, "Title," Report Title Report Number, Institution, City, State or Country, Month Year.
D. W. Readey, E. A. Maguire, C. P. Hartwig, and D. J. Masse, “Microwave High Dielectric Constant Materials,” Tech. Rept. ECOM-0455-F, Raytheon Co., Waltham, MA, June 1971.
Manual

Corporation, Title. The Corporation, City, State or Country, Year.
Microsoft Corporation, Microsoft Word. The Corporation, New York, 2001.
Miscellaneous (the journal type is used in this example, use any styles above adding “(status)”)
Author, “Title,” Journal Title, Volume, (status).
B. D. Martinez, “Phase Equilibria in Silicon Systems,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. (in press).
Note: Status can be (unpublished, or submitted for publication).
Standard

“Standard Title” Standard Type Standard Number. Publisher, City, State or Country.
"Standard Test Method for Quantitatively Measuring the Effect of Thermal Shock and Thermal Cycling on Refractories," ASTM Designation C 1171-96. American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA.

As Cited In (use when the original work cannot be checked)
[Cited section would appear just as cited, citer section should be in the SoE style]
Cited Author, “Cited Title,” Cited Journal Title Volume [Issue] Pages (Year). As cited in Author (Citer), Book Title (Citer), Edition (Citer) ed.;p. Page (Citer). Publisher (Citer), City , State or Country, Year.
Adams and Williamson, "Annealing of Glass," Journal of the Franklin Institute (Nov. and Dec., 1920). As cited in S. R. Scholes, Modern Glass Practice, 7th ed.; p. 287. Cahners Books, Boston, MA, 1975.
  • now that the visual editor is up and running, I'd much rather answer specific questions on that then just do the work for other people:
    http://steveridout.com/csl/visualEditor/

If you still want me to do this it'll take a good amount of time and as specified in the link Gracile gives you I need a precise list of differences - also, I'd ask that you use the "search by example" page to find the closest style match. I need a precise list of differences - also, I'd ask that you use the "search by example" page of the visual editor to find the closest style match.
  • I can find citations styles that are similar but are not quite close enough. I wouldn't even know were to start to change a .cls script to fit the Journal of American Ceramic Society.

Similar ones are :
    Nature
    American Chemical Society
  • see my post above - you don't need to change the csl file, there is a GUI editor I link to.
    If you really don't want to use it, see my request for a precise& detailed list of differences.
  • The GUI is not straight forward.
  • my time is not free.