Processing updated data from sync server

For the last week, when I open Firefox and then Zotero on either my desktop or laptop (both PCs), a box pops up with this message: "Processing updated data from sync server." Within ten minutes, Firefox stops running. I've tried this repeatedly each day for a week, restarting the computers multiple times and even letting them run overnight. I can't access my Zotero library at all because the pop-up box freezes the program.

Report ID: 587824511

The problem seems to be related to a US dictionary add-on. I was out of the country the previous week with my laptop; I wonder if that's part of the problem.

Thanks for any advice.
  • This wouldn't have anything to do with a dictionary add-on—it's just due to the size of your updated sync data.

What do you mean by "Firefox stops running"? It freezes, or it crashes? What's its state after leaving it overnight?
  • edited September 22, 2012
    Thanks, Dan. Here's a very short video (less than 1 min.) that I just made for you to show you what is happening:

http://screencast.com/t/tdyHoRhwvbe

Firefox freezes. Windows Task Manager lists its status not as "Running" but as "Not Responding." I left Firefox running overnight on my laptop one night and on my desktop another night, and both mornings Firefox was still "Not Responding."

And often Firefox crashes on my Desktop rather than freezing indefinitely.

BTW, I LOVE Zotero! I regularly recommend it to students and colleagues. E.g., see this article I wrote about it: http://andynaselli.com/personal-theological-library
  • Would you recommend that I do this?

Zotero Preferences > Sync > Reset > Restore to Zotero Server: Erase all server data and overwrite with local Zotero data

The local Zotero data on my desktop computer is up-to-date. Perhaps doing this reset would fix the problem. But I want to check with you first. I've invested thousands of hours in this Zotero library, and I don't want to do anything that would lose my work.
  • This old question seems unanswered, but I wanted to jump on this thread because I am experiencing a very similar problem.
    In short, my library became so large (>14,000) that Zotero became very unstable and slow to the point where it was unusable. I could no longer open the program or interface with it at all. I removed a large collection (>11,000) from my library using the web portal, hoping that it would sync and fix the problem, but alas it did not (i can't tell if the sync worked or not because the program hangs after opening and was unresponsive/ infinite color wheel on mac) . I then backed up my local zotero folder to a different directory, deleted the old directory, and re-installed Zotero in the hopes that it would pull the new (smaller) library from the server.

I now seem to be in the same position as anaselli was in 2012 - the Zotero standalone program is totally unusable and hangs after opening on the "processing updated data from sync server" indefinitely.

My goal would be to restore a fresh library from the server. Since my data is backed up locally, I am OK with a total reinstall. How can I accomplish this?

One potential wrench in the works is that the large collection part of a shared group library which I manage and share with 4-5 others. The server seems to have the correct library, but it would be a major pain if all the other users had to restore from my local storage.

I am at this point totally without a usable Zotero. What can I do?
  • edited February 23, 2017
    A freeze is expected in 4.0 with large operations, and you should just let it go — if you interrupt it, the same problem will just keep happening.

In the upcoming 5.0, the UI will remain responsive during large operations.

If you're having trouble, I'd recommend restoring from whatever local backup is closest to the server version and installing the 5.0 Beta. It may be significantly slower to open with a large library at the moment (though we're working on that ) but once open it should better handle syncing of large libraries.

5.0 will be released as final very soon, so if you're having trouble in 4.0 it's worth trying it now — just be sure to switch back to the release version when it comes out.
  • edited February 23, 2017
    (Also, judging from your online stats your database, including child items and group libraries, has >75,000 items. 14K doesn't qualify as particularly large, but 75K does.)
  • Thanks thats great. Very excited for 5.0

I will let it run overnight (or longer) to sync

Is there a risk that my local version (which is empty now) will overwrite the server version instead of the other way around?

the 75,000 is probably my local storage + my group storage. I tried cut down on the size of both but if you're still seeing 75,000+ I wonder if the server is restoring my deleted items using the libraries of the other users?
  • Is there a risk that my local version (which is empty now) will overwrite the server version instead of the other way around?
    Not unless you deleted items in Zotero. Zotero only syncs explicit deletions.
    I wonder if the server is restoring my deleted items using the libraries of the other users?
    No, it likely just means those changes didn't sync up.
  • Thanks again Dan. I'll post again with the results one way or the other
  • I'm having the same problem -- the unending "Processing updated data from sync server" dialogue that ties up the Zotero tab in Firefox.

Is there a way to see how much is completed, and how much farther to go? That would at least provide some reassurance that something is indeed happening, and that Zotero isn't just hung, and would let me know when I can get back to using Zotero.

(Also, just wanted to echo Anaselli's comment about how awesome Zotero is, and how valuable a collaboration tool.)
  • Well for my part, by way of update, I let Zotero run for about 48 hours and it did finally complete the "Processing updated data from sync server" process. Zotero acted normally after that, so I decided to try and trim down my library to prevent these problems again. I moved a very large collection to the trash, which took several hours to complete. My problem now is that all those records are in the trash - but I can't empty the trash. After i click OK in the 'confirm' dialogue box, zotero hangs permanently. No amount of time seems to actually process the deletion. I was going to try to troubleshoot some more and then post about that in a different thread.

Kartha, I'd say you should give it quite a bit of time depending on your library size and the quality of your connection. It never gave me any indication about how far along it was. However, as Dan pointed out - in the new version coming soon, Zotero should be responsive during the update process, so if time is a factor you may want to try his suggestion of using the beta version
  • I was lucky... quite shortly after i posted that comment, the sync finished and all seems good now.

As far as trash... How about trying to highlight a manageable number of the items in the trash bin (maybe even start with just a couple) and see if it will process it in finite time? If so, you could try larger chunks.
  • (Yes, what kartha suggests would be the way to go for the trash; pretty sure that'll work better in 5.0, too)
  • I'm not sure I understand about the trash items. there doesn't seem to be a way to highlight just a few and delete them permanently. My only options for items in the trash are: "view online, restore to library, export item, create bibliography, generate report, attach new file, manage attachments". How can I remove just a few at a time from the trash?

As an update, I have been able to allow the server processing to continue and once it completed (about 48 hours) the program behaves normally. Its even quite fast as long as I don't navigate to a folder with too many references in it. I've been able to clean up all the references from my group library and get that down to a more manageable size. My personal library still says there is 40,000+ items in the trash. These items aren't visible in the web client. Trying to empty the trash causes the program to hang indefinitely. Also the computer (a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5) gets extremely hot and all other programs become practically unusable.

If the trash items aren't visible in the web client, is there any other way to remove them locally besides using the 'empty trash' feature?
  • edited April 5, 2017
    there doesn't seem to be a way to highlight just a few and delete them permanently.
    Select a few and press Delete/Backspace on the keyboard. (In the upcoming 5.0 there's a menu option as well.)