APA style - first edition of a book

Hi.

I use Zotero (APA-style) to generate my bibliography. When I cite a book and leave the edition field blank (as I should with the first edition of books according to APA), Zotero leaves a dot anyway, and I need to manually edit the entry to get it right.

Ex.: Giroux, H. A. (2003). Beyond the spectacle of terrorism.. London: Routledge.

Do you see that extra dot after "terrorism"? It comes out of nowhere?! Is there a way around this?

Thanks for a promising app!
  • I'm not seeing that. Is there any chance that you have a period at the end of your title? Or that maybe you have a blank space in your edition field?
  • Edition field is completely empty - and no period at the end of booktitle. Problem persists. Which leeds me to a related issue:

This morning I used Zotero to grab citation information from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Grounded-Theory-Practical-Qualitative/dp/0761973532/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206430745&sr=8-1)

This is a first edtion book. When I create a APA-style bibliography from this entry, it results in:

Charmaz, K. (2006). Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide through Qualitative Analysis. (1), 224. Sage Publications Ltd.

The "(1)" first edition indicator should not appear. And "224" is referring to the total number of pages of the book - but as far as I know, it should not appear either. The pages and edition fields were filled automatically when data was grabbed from Amazon.

I appreciate your help.
  • Those are both bugs in the Amazon translator. Remove the edition and pages content and you'll be fine.

To reproduce your other problem, and you post a link to a record that you had Zotero suck in, and which then caused the problem you noted when using APA?
  • When I remove the editions and pages content, I am back to the extra period issue:

Charmaz, K. (2006). Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide through Qualitative Analysis. . Sage Publications Ltd.

I'm using a partly translated danish-version; is it maybe a version problem?
  • Don't know.

BTW, I meant the URL for the source. It'd help to have the raw data.
  • I'm not sure about your URL request, but http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Grounded-Theory-Practical-Qualitative/dp/0761973532/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206430745&sr=8-1
    -is the URL for the source of Constructing Grounded Theory - when I import it into Zotero and strip the edition and pages content I get the extra period in the bibliography entry?

I will try to upgrade/reinstall, just to be sure.
  • OK, great: that exposed the problem. It should be fixed now, though please test, with a few different types of resources.
  • I am a totally newbie to this - where do I get the fixed version?
  • Go here to the "dev" section, and click the "install" link next to the style.
  • edited March 26, 2008
    Thanks. I now got the "(dev)" version of APA, but I still can't get it to work right.

I have created a book entry for testing purposes. In Wikipedia format it is:

{{Cite book

| publisher = Internet Publishing

| last = Jensen

| first = Anders

| title = Testing APA-style

| location = KBH

}}

When I export it to clipboard using the dev APA style, I get the following result:

Jensen, A. Testing APA-style. . KBH: Internet Publishing.

The extra period is still in effect?! And the title is not italicized?
  • Try again.

The title looks fine on my end.
  • I works now! Very nice.

Thank you very much for your time.