how to import the previous categories and research notes from Endnote to Zotero?

I imported hundred of citations from endnote to Zotero, appearing as 'my endnote library' in Zotero. However, the previous categories in Endnote are disappearing.
While I always use "research notes" to take notes, only "notes" from Endnote have been imported, rather than "research notes".

My question 1) How can I import from endnote with my previous categories intact?
2) How to import "research notes"?

Thanks a lot!!!!
  • Look at what Endnote exports: are there any categories in there? What format do the research notes have?
  • Thanks for your reply! Do you mean check through Endnote Output style? How to check the format of research notes? Sorry I am a green hand
  • edited September 13, 2012
    You can open the file that you import in Zotero (before you import it) with any texteditor (Notepad, TextEdit, or even Word if need be). The basic logic of the format is pretty easy to understand:
    Each of your EndNote items corresponds to an entry ranging from TY - (for type) to ER - (for end record).
    In between is the relevant bibliographic info for those items.

Search through the file to see if the info you're missing on import is there - if it doesn't export we can't import it.
  • I had the same problem. By trial and error, I stumbled upon this fix:
    In Endnote, go to

Edit/Output styles/edit "RefMan (RIF) Export"

Under Bibliography/templates, add the code below after the line that reads "N2 - `Abstract|`". You will need to do this for each relevant reference type (journal, book, etc). Code line to paste:

N2 - `Research Notes|`
    (NOTE: this text editor is messing with the formatting a little, so make sure the prefix before the apostrophe looks exactly like the line before it in Endnote. Copy and paste the line before if needed)

When you import to Zotero, the "Research notes" will end up in the "notes" section.This isn't a perfect fix, but at least you won't lose the info.
  • since we're now supporting Endnote XML you could also just use that. Endnote will automatically exporte research notes.