Running Zotero off a thumb drive

I am having the worst time finding detailed information about running Zotero off a thumb drive. Lots of references to "you can run Zotero off a thumb drive" or that you can synch your libraries using a thumb drive, but that's as deep as it gets.

I agreed to give a workshop at my library about Zotero, and only learned we didn't have it on our image after the fact. So, the class will be using library computers, and they will have to use Zotero itself off a thumb drive.

But, which version? Standalone or Firefox? If Standalone, do they also need to run the connectors? Is that even possible?

Maybe I'm a horrible searcher, and there's detailed documentation out there that I missed?
  • You can install the Zotero for Firefox add-on in "Portable Firefox".
    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
    This should work well.

I think that you can install Standalone on a USB too. Don't know for the connectors...
  • Thanks Gracile. I think I finally figured out that I have to run portable Zotero in portable Firefox. That has been less than clear....(all the documentation I saw has been about when you can't install Firefox. We have Firefox, students can't install Zotero!)
  • Just to be clear, there's no "portable zotero" as far as I know.
    What you called "portable zotero" is either:
    -The Zotero for Firefox add-on installed in Portable Firefox (which is installed on a thumb drive) or
    -Zotero standalone installed on a thumb drive.