Black lines, missing citations, toggle mode

Only in toggle mode, do black lines show up on the right, where there should be the information box.

And while that's happening, sometimes all white lines appear.

I thought I saw this somewhere in forums but I hadn't come back about it and can't find it now. I'd add a screenshot as I have one but I don't think I can.

Thanks
  • Timestamp: 9/9/12 12:17:13 AM
    Warning: Expected number or percentage in rgb() but found ')'. Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
    Line: 0

This might help.
  • You can post a screenshot to a free file-sharing site (ImageShack, Imgur, Dropbox) and provide a link here.
  • that's just too simple. I need more sleep.

here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioyyolyt63i7zg8/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-08%20at%2011.49.40%20PM.png
  • Wow. Well, Zotero can't really cause something like that itself. This seems like a problem with Firefox, your graphics card, or something in between.

First, though, provide a Report ID. (You didn't tell us what OS this is, among other things.)
  • Also make sure you have the latest version of Firefox and try disabling your other Firefox extensions and any non-standard theme you're running. Firefox also has some hardware acceleration settings that you can turn off, which you should try, though that shouldn't be necessary unless something's wrong with your OS or you're running on unusual hardware.
  • Huh. MacBook pro. OS X, wont upgrade to new OS until christmas. Might send it to apple. Sorry. Still new enough to massively using zotero to get weird bugs like that and need to do that report think. I shall do so.

Your opinion please. Why does it only happen in toggle mode with zotero? Normal mode is fine. But I need it open to look at while writing at times.

Great idea. I think ur on to something with extensions. Someone told me that today firefox works with apps and ext weigh it down but thats why i need it. Zot file works hard for me. I'll be back to report.
  • I did do that report id procedure and found nothing after I cleared it when it did it again. That's when I posted here. does that confirm its not zotero. I think there's a extension/app conflict when in toggle mode. Are y'all aware of any thinks like that? Perhaps related to PDF viewers?
  • edited September 11, 2012
    does that confirm its not zotero.
    It's not Zotero—we don't need an error report to tell you that. And I'd be pretty surprised if another Firefox extension could cause that, but it's easy enough for you to disable them all and check.
  • edited September 11, 2012
    Assuming disabling other extensions doesn't work, I'd recommend reinstalling Firefox (and in the process making sure you have the latest version).
  • I agree with you about it not being zotero, at first, you can't tell in the picture, but it's not whole screen! It's just the column on the left. When it does it again, I'll post a better pic.

And it only does it toggle mode...doesn't do it in the other modes...

I swear I'm losing my mind!

Let me ask the second question, why does it take awhile, mainly in toggle-mode, to load the middle panel-my actual library list.

It's blank, a few show up, then a few more.

I wonder if all this a memory issue?!
  • lines:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl6rh5ua1ztc4qm/lines-part%20screen.png

missing resources?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6crdxcssjl2ld3n/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-12%20at%208.12.47%20PM.png

both of these things only happen in toggle mode. I did just install a clean firefox. Thanks.
  • By toggle mode, do you mean what you get when you (within bottom of the browser window mode) click on the icon to open Zotero in a browser tab? What version of FireFox?

When I use the latest Zotero for FF, beginning with FF 12; if I open the browser with the Zotero tab open the center window listing only appears when I move the cursor over what should be the list. There are gaps in the center column listings that change position as I mouse over various places where the list should be. Then the entire FF window becomes distorted and a moment later FF locks up. A force quit takes forever. I'm using a mac pro with 12 gb ram. This occured under Lion and has continued with mountain lion. My office has several identical Macs all with the same problem. Bottom line, the university's tech people say this is a video driver or video card issue that is known to them and related to recent versions of FF Mac. I think that I trust them.

If I avoid using Zotero in a tab, or if I use Zotero stand-alone I do not have the problem.
  • EUREKA!!!!

Yes, by toggle mode I mean when it's in a tab all by itself--so Zotero in a tab versus on the bottom of my screen. It only "stripes" in the window and it sometimes does freeze--wow that explains a lot.

Can you explain, is it FF issue or Apple issue?

(Your IT people do not get paid enough! Thank you!)
  • What graphics card do you each have? (You can tell in About This Mac -> More Info.)

Also, dipahart, are you using an external monitor with the MBP, or the built-in display?

Also, can you both confirm that this happens in Firefox 15.0.1?
  • Also, how about if you disable "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the Advanced -> General pane of the Firefox preferences (and possibly restart Firefox)?
  • edited June 13, 2013
    I'm using
    Zotero 3.0.8
    Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Xeon
    OS X 10.8.1
    12 GB memory
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    I disabled "Use hardware acceleration" and restarted FF 14.01
    I updated FF to 15.0.1 and restarted FF (with hardware accel off)

I recorded an mp4 movie of the issue so that you could see this in-action (1.5 minutes)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29002616/Zotero-FF-asTab.mp4

Or, see a screen shot at:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29002616/Zotero-FF-asTab.png

Zotero when at the bottom of the FF window doesn't have this problem nor does Zotero stand-alone
  • edited September 13, 2012
    Graphics nvidia GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Yes I installed the firefox a days ago. Still happens. 15.0.1

And yea, I do have two monitors but it doesn't matter which one. It's actual worse on my MacBook when I'm not at home with it--Other monitor is a dell s1709w.

Thanks! Thanks!

And mine do what the above does.
  • To add more information about this, the PubMed site now has occasional similar, if less dramatic, problems. This began a few weeks ago with the new PubMed 3 column format for search results. If the records per screen is set to display a listing that requires using the mouse wheel or the page-down buttom, the text for some records may not appear but the tick-box for the blank record is there. Clicking on the empty space where the text should be, or cycling a page-down page-up will display the full text of the record (but some other record that had been visible before the cycle may not be). At the top of the PubMed homepage a notice is displayed stating that my browser is not compatible. I telephoned the NLM tech support and learned that the incompatibility results in "odd display problems" but not search and download issues.

The PubMed display is fine with the latest Mac versions of Chrome, IE, and safari.
  • This is some sort of problem between Firefox and your graphics card, so your best bet is to take this up with Mozilla. You can also try beta versions of Firefox to see if they fix the problem. (For the PubMed site, you can try in Firefox's Safe Mode.)
  • Solution: I got alot more memory back in November on my macbook pro. It seems to have stopped almost everything so far (as of January 2013).