Can't find zotero pane in Chrome? Can't take snapshots in Chrome?

Hi, I wonder if someone asked the same question and I am sorry if this is a repeat question, but I can't seem to open zotero pane in chrome - I pressed control+alt+z shortcut key (and I checked that it is a correct shortcut in preferences) but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you.

I also have a problem taking snapshots in chrome - I can get ordinary book information by clicking a book icon in URL bar in Chrome, but I get nothing when it comes to a regular webpage, and when I right-click and try to use a pull-down menu "Take Zotero snapshot from the current page" nothing happens.

Please help.
  • You need to install Zotero standalone
    http://www.zotero.org/support/3.0#zotero_standalone
    Zotero for Chrome is not the same as Zotero for Firefox - it's just a little tool that connects Chrome to Zotero Standalone, without that it's not worth all that much.
  • Hi, I have the standalone - so are you saying that I won't be able to see the webpage and the window pane simultaneously as it was with firefox?

Now that's a little inconvenient ...

What about the snapshot problem?

Thank you..
  • you can just split your screen between Chrome and Standalone and then maximize&reduce Chrome as you need it to show Zotero - not much different. But yeah, you don't have Zotero as part of your browser anymore.

With the snapshot - right-click is the way to go.
    Do you have Standalone open when you try that?

If so - in Chrome, click on the tools icon, then on Tools-->Extensions and then click "Options" next to the Zotero connector, on the top, does it say anything about being connected to Zotero standalone?
    And on the bottom, any errors?
  • I got it! Now it's working! Thanks so much!

The window pane feature used to be handy - maximizing and reducing the windows are a lot of work, if you have to do it often. I wish Zotero plans on adding this feature to Chrome soon.
  • nope, that's not coming to Chrome, most likely not ever. If you're attached to the tighter browser integration you're stuck with Firefox.

There are keyboard shortcuts for handling windows for all operating systems, though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts#Window_management
  • Hi- follow up question

I initially had the same issue as springchild74 so I went and downloaded firefox, then downloaded zotero for firefox (and I can see the zotero icon on the bottom right in firefox).

I went back to chrome but can't seem to find the zotero icon anywhere.

I did what you said : "In Chrome, click on the tools icon, then on Tools-->Extensions and then click "Options" next to the Zotero connector, on the top, does it say anything about being connected to Zotero standalone? And on the bottom, any errors?"

And it says "Zotero standalone is currently unavailable" (even after I updated status numerous times"

And in the error window it says
    "[JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "miscellaneous_bindings" line: 58}]

[JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "miscellaneous_bindings" line: 58}]

[JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "miscellaneous_bindings" line: 58}]"

Help?
  • Did you install Zotero Standalone, and is it running?
  • I cannot see the zotero connect on the chrome. please help. I have the zotero standalone properly installed.
  • Do you see a URL bar icon here?
    http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/

In Chrome - is the Zotero Connector listed under "tools--> extensions"? If so, do any errors come up when you click on "Options" (copy them here).
  • Adamsmith, I was able to finally see it (the icon) in chrome and is now working perfectly. Accept my great appreciation for your support. Thank you.
  • This has wasted my entire day how does this damn thing work
  • if you have a question, you'll need to be more specific and please refrain from swearing.
  • I cannot find the zotero icon in chrome. It was there until 5 minutes ago when it disappeared.

In chrome, I clicked on tools, extentions, and under zotero I clicked options. It asked me to accept some authorisation changes so that I can save via server... which I did.. The message below is what I got once I had finalised the authorisation.. but I still dont have the icon

Save via Server
    Zotero Connector will save items to zotero.org as sharon+kamau when Zotero Standalone is not open.

Automatically take snapshots when saving items
    Automatically download associated PDFs and other files when saving items

Is there something Ive done wrong?
  • there wasnt an error before, now this message came up
    [JavaScript Error: "getTranslators: detection is already running" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js" line: 1000}]

the report id was 405065502
  • After attempting to uninstall and re install the connector, this new error showed up

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot read property '0' of undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/messages.js" line: 89}]

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot read property '0' of undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/messages.js" line: 89}]
  • Do you have Zotero Standalone installed? Any reason you're trying to save to the server rather than locally?

Have you tried simply restarting your computer?
  • Hi there, I installed Zotero Connector on my Chrome yesterday and it was all good. Today, the icon disappeared from the address/tool bar. I've installed and re-installed it a few times, waited for it to appear but it didn't.

I went to Tools> Extension> Options, Zotero Standalone is currently available. I clicked on "Update status" but nothing happened. It asked me to accept authorisation changes so I can save via server, which I did. These are the errors, and I have reported them. My Zotero ID: 78505 8206.

[JavaScript Error: "getTranslators: detection is already running" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js" line: 1000}]

HELP PLEASE? :(
  • that all looks good (the error doesn't actually break anything).
    No URL bar icon here?
    http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/
  • Hi Adam, thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes I saw the icon in the link you gave. Why is it not appearing on mine? I'm browsing journal articles, and I was using it too yesterday (though on a different website).
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_address_bar_icon
    where are you not seeing it?
  • https://www.clinicalkey.com.au/
  • I don't have access so I can't look closely, but in general we don't have support for that site.
    If they have an export to Endnote (or any other reference manager) option, you can import that file into Zotero.
  • I've worked around it, thanks for your help.
  • edited July 1, 2015
    I had to edit this post because Zotero connector for Chrome does seem to work, although the experience compared to Firefox is so vastly different (and poorer), that I just didn't recognize the icon.
  • Can you provide specific URLs where it's not showing up?

A Debug ID from Chrome for loading such a page would also be helpful.
  • No, it's all fine. Please delete this and my previous post in this thread. Thank you. BTW, Chrome is a pretty popular browser. Are you sure you don't want to support it like you do with Firefox?
  • Not sure what you mean. The Chrome extension is for use with Zotero Standalone, which provides full Zotero functionality. You can save recognized webpages by clicking on the address bar icon or save any webpage by right-clicking on the page background.

The Chrome extension framework provides drastically less functionality than the Firefox extension framework, so it's not possible to provide a full Zotero client within Chrome. But that's what Zotero Standalone is for.
  • Hi! I've installed Zotero Standalone and the extension for Chrome. I can see the "Save Page to Zotero" when use the right button on a web page but nothing happens: webpages don't get across to my Zotero Standalone. I've checked for errors on the settings for the Chrome extension and found this: [JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "extensions::messaging" line: 70}] Any ideas???
  • Start a new thread, please. In the options for the Chrome connector it would say something like "Zotero Standalone is Online" (or "not available"). Include that information.
  • edited January 27, 2016
    I cannot open zotero standalone and none of the above is helping. These are the errors shown on the extensions thing.
    [JavaScript Error: "getTranslators: detection is already running" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js" line: 1023}]

[JavaScript Error: "getTranslators: detection is already running" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js" line: 1023}]

It also says zoetro standalone is unavailable when i have it open. I have Chrome.