Harvard bibliography missing authors, replaced with et al.

In the bibliography of my Harvard style document, the authors are shortened to et al. when there are more than 2. Is this correct? I can't find any reference to this in Harvard guides - normally, all authors are given. I've surpressed the addition of intials to the in-text citations (i.e. Barnosky et al. rather than A.D. Barnosky et al. when more than one Barnosky exists). Could this have caused it?

What I have:

Barnosky, A.D. et al., 2011. Has the Earth’s sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature, 471(7336), pp.51–57.

Rather than:

Barnosky, A.D., Matzke, N., Tomiya, S., Wogan, G.O.U., et al. 2011 Has the Earth’s sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature. [Online] 471(7336), pp.51–57.
  • different Harvard styles have different requirements for displaying authors in the bibliography. I don't know which one you're looking at. Remember that "Harvard" isn't actually a style guide, but a label for any citation style that uses (Author Year, Page) for in text citations.
    E.g. if you use the APA style - which is a "Harvard" style, you'll get 6 authors before et al. In the American Political Science Association - also a Harvard style - you get all.
    You could.e.g. look at the Harvard (Anglia Ruskin) style, which is quite comprehensive and has four authors before et-al, just like your example.
  • Hello,

I have installed the Harvard (Anglia Ruskin) style and I do not know why but only two authors appear after which it is et-al. As you said with Harvard (Anglia Rusking) it should list up to 4 authors and only if 5 then it shoudl do et-al. But this is not working, I have tried it both with the standalone version and the firefox zotero version. Can you please help?
    Thank you