CSL chapter and entry-dictionary

I am experiencing some odd behaviour with 3.0.8 in Firefox for dictionary entries.

I thought that entry-dictionary should be generally classified as a chapter, but for some reason the following CSL is not working:

<choose>
<if type="chapter book" match="none">
<text macro="editor-translator"/>
</if>
</choose>

So I tried making it more explicit, using the following:

<choose>
<if type="entry-dictionary chapter book" match="none">
</if>
</choose>

In the end I have ended up with the following workaround:

<choose>
<if type="chapter book" match="none">
<choose>
<if type="entry-dictionary" match="none">
</if>
</choose>
</if>
</choose>

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug in Zotero?

(Yes, this is for an assignment due in tomorrow... gremlins in the system!)
  • dictionary entries are entry-dictionary
    see a complete mapping here:
    http://aurimasv.github.com/z2csl/typeMap.xml

Do we still have the old "chapter" fallback somewhere in the documentation? That's not the case anymore.

I've tested this and it should work like this:
    <choose>
    <if type="entry-dictionary chapter book" match="none">
    </if>
    </choose>

note that the test panel has, at least for me, been a little odd lately - it sometimes requires a "refresh" before changes in the csl go into effect.
  • Thanks v much for taking a look. The 'chapter' fallback is still somewhere in the documentation, I came across it today when troubleshooting this issue.

Unfortunately both the testpanel and the real export bibliography option are not working on your example.

I'm finding the same bug occurs with Chicago Manual of Style (full note) from the Style Repository. Compare a dictionary entry with a journal article with a book section and note the oddity of the dictionary entry.
  • Unfortunately both the testpanel and the real export bibliography option are not working on your example.
    I'd have to see your style to say more. Post it to pastebin.com or gist.github.com and I can take a look.

Dictionary entry using CMoS full note looks fine to me - what are you seeing?
  • CMos gives me these outputs in the testpane (note the lack of page numbers for the 'Opponents of Paul' dictionary entry):

Single Citations

Paul Barnett, ‘Opposition in Corinth’, JSNT 22 (1984): 3–17.
    Paul Barnett, ‘Opponents of Paul’, ed. Gerald F. Hawthorne, Ralph P. Martin, and Daniel G. Reid, Dictionary of Paul and His Letters (Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity Press, 1993).
    Paul Barnett, ‘Paul, Apologist to the Corinthians’, in Paul and the Corinthians: Studies on a Community in Conflict (FS Margaret Thrall), ed. Trevor J. Burke and J. Keith Elliott, NovTSup 109 (Leiden: Brill, 2003), 313–326.

Multi Citations (all with position "first")

Paul Barnett, ‘Opposition in Corinth’, JSNT 22 (1984): 3–17; Paul Barnett, ‘Opponents of Paul’, ed. Gerald F. Hawthorne, Ralph P. Martin, and Daniel G. Reid, Dictionary of Paul and His Letters (Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity Press, 1993); Paul Barnett, ‘Paul, Apologist to the Corinthians’, in Paul and the Corinthians: Studies on a Community in Conflict (FS Margaret Thrall), ed. Trevor J. Burke and J. Keith Elliott, NovTSup 109 (Leiden: Brill, 2003), 313–326.

Bibliography

Barnett, Paul. ‘Opponents of Paul’. Edited by Gerald F. Hawthorne, Ralph P. Martin, and Daniel G. Reid. Dictionary of Paul and His Letters. Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity Press, 1993.
    ———. ‘Opposition in Corinth’. JSNT 22 (1984): 3–17.
    ———. ‘Paul, Apologist to the Corinthians’. In Paul and the Corinthians: Studies on a Community in Conflict (FS Margaret Thrall), edited by Trevor J. Burke and J. Keith Elliott, 313–326. NovTSup 109. Leiden: Brill, 2003.
  • the lack of page numbers for dictionary entries is by design and in line with the CMoS documentation
    http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec247.html
    if you have online access (that's 16th edition 14.247 if you have the manual).

What you have really look like book chapters, not dictionary entries in the bibliographic sense (yes, it's _called_ a dictionary, but it's really no different from a "handbook," e.g.)
  • I see what you mean. I believe that this is a change of behaviour since earlier versions of Zotero since I have used Dictionary Entries for a long time and only just spotted this issue. It also doesn't explain why I have had such problems controlling entry-dictionary from the CSL I'm working on. I've pasted it here:
    http://pastebin.com/cbwWG6vM

Note how I've had to include the workaround I described above in order to manipulate dictionary entries. If I use your suggested code then the behavior changes. Any thoughts?

PS I'm in UK so will need to get some sleep soon!
  • I see what you mean. I believe that this is a change of behaviour since earlier versions of Zotero since I have used Dictionary Entries for a long time and only just spotted this issue.
    since dictionary used to fall back to chapter, that's most definitely a change in behavior, yes.

The problem in your case is that you're editign a CSL 0.8.1 style.

Zotero auto-converts those to CSL 1.0 and I think that conversion might do something odd when you have both chapter and entry-dictionary in one if loop - it may just throw entry-dictionary out? - not sure.
    Anyway, you can auto-upgrade valid csl 0.8.1. and that's strongly recommended, can't help you much with troubleshooting the old style:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/upgrade-notes.html#updating-csl-0-8-styles