Strange character in text

Hi all,

first, I don't know if exactly is a troubleshooting.

I use Work a I set to show all marks in text. Then, my•text•is•like•that. When I insert a reference like (Van•der•Pijl•1982) it is ok, but when I edit before insert to direct reference like VanºderºPijlº(1982) in text show º instead of •. I think that maybe was encoding of style file. I change utf-8 to iso-8859-1, but don't work.

It is happen only I edit citation or bibliography.

It is only happening on text. When I preview print, the º character is not showed.

Regards,

Mario
  • Hi Gracile,

I want that work shows print character. My question is why zotero is substituting • by º. The character • represent space, and this way I know how much spaces has. The problem is that º represent other character that maybe has compatibility problem.

Regards,

Mario
  • how are you editing citations? Note that from Zotero 3.0 onwards you do not need the "Show Editor" window anymore, you can edit citations right in Word to the same effect.
  • Hi Adamsmith,

I use "Show Editor" because if I edit in Word and change the style, Zotero reset my edition. Using "Editor" Zotero don't reset edition. I am using the last version of Zotero and at early version this didn't happen.

Regards,

Mario
  • I use "Show Editor" because if I edit in Word and change the style, Zotero reset my edition.
    right, and I'm telling you that's not the case any more since Zotero 3.0.
  • Ok, but, how I saw, if I don't use Editor, Zotero reset my changes when I change style like ABNT to Revista Brasileira de Botânica, for instance.
  • you're right - that's not supposed to happen, though.

Simon, this looks like a regression?
  • Hi adamsmith,

I think that I found what is wrong. Word 2010 have a feature named "nonbreaking spaces". This feature add a special space character that don't allow Word to break sentence with this character. When I use editor on Zotero, it change normal space to special space.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/use-nonbreaking-spaces-and-nonbreaking-hyphens-in-word-HA001044897.aspx

Regards,

Mario
  • that's fixed in Zotero 3.0.9, due out this weekend.

The other issue is that editing in the citation - without using the show editor field - should really work. Have you tried doing that and refreshing? Are you sure that overwrites your edits?
  • edited November 16, 2012
    Hi adamsmith,

yes, overwrites. For instance, I cite like:

(May 1975)

And I edit, not using the show editor field, this citation to:

May (1975)

When I change style, zotero change citation to

(May 1975)

Using editor this not happen. I'm using Zotero Standalone 3.0.8.

Mario
  • Problems with strange character fixed updating to Standalone 3.0.10. I will open new discussion with problem of edition.