Zotero grabs Spanish version of title in Conservation Biology

Recently, when I try to export citations from the journal Conservation Biology, Zotero saves them with the Spanish rather than the English version of the title. An example is with this paper:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2012.01845.x/abstract

I wrote to Wiley and after a couple of days I got this response:

'The Technical Team have confirmed that the Online Library exports the English Title as it is.

They have advised the you may need to check with Zotero as Zotero did not captured the title accordingly.'

The problem appears with older papers from the same journal (e.g. 2004) as well, but apparently not with short communications and editorials.

Thanks for any help or advice.
  • Thanks for reporting - this is a bit tricky - Wiley exports both Spanish and English citation information to the same bibtex - which I guess makes sense - and since Spanish comes after English in the bibtex file, it overwrites it in Zotero.

I'm not quite sure how to handle this better in Zotero but maybe Aurimas or Simon have an idea?

As a workaround, if you're using Zotero for Firefox, you can right click on the translator icon and select "Embedded Metadata" - that will work quite well, though it won't attach the pdf.
  • Thanks Adam. It's useful for me to save the PDF with the citation, so for now my solution is to copy and paste the English title once I've saved the citation.

Would a solution be to change the Zotero settings such that only the first bibtex entry is saved? Or would this result in other undesirable side effects?
  • if there were several bibtex entries, that's what we'd do, but that's not the case.
    I've pasted the bibtex of the item you link to below (cutting out the abstract) so you can see how this looks. (This is also true for the RIS export, so switching to that won't help, either).
    It might be possible to just take the first title field from the bibtex - but I'm not happy about doing that in the bibtex translator itself and it's actually a bit tricky to do in the Wiley translator.

@article {COBI:COBI1845,
    author = {TUCKER, CAROLINE M. and CADOTTE, MARC W. and DAVIES, T. JONATHAN and REBELO, TONY G.},
    title = {Incorporating Geographical and Evolutionary Rarity into Conservation Prioritization},
    title = {Incorporación de la Rareza Geográfica y Evolutiva en la Priorización de la Conservación},
    journal = {Conservation Biology},
    volume = {26},
    number = {4},
    publisher = {Blackwell Publishing Inc},
    issn = {1523-1739},
    url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2012.01845.x},
    doi = {10.1111/j.1523-1739.2012.01845.x},
    pages = {593--601},
    keywords = {Cape Floristic Region, conservation biogeography, evolutionary distinctiveness, phylogenetics, species prioritization},
    keywords = {biogeografía de la conservación, filogenia, priorización de especies, Región Florística del Cabo, unicidad evolutiva},
    year = {2012},
    abstract = {Abstract:  ...},
    }
  • Are there any BibTeX tools that can parse this correctly? (i.e. store separate titles and keywords)
  • BibTeX, itself, isssues a warning and ignores extra fields. Wiley is emitting invalid BibTeX, though many tools will gracefully accept it anyway. Zotero's BibTeX translator could prefer the first use of a field or trigger a warning/notification of the invalid file.

Wiley should rename the spanish versions of the fields to something else. Their technical team is mistaken.
  • thanks noksagt - with that info, I agree we should just let Zotero's bibtex import prefer the first field and create a notification in debug.
  • we're working on a fix, it's not in Zotero yet, but the pull request is here:
    https://github.com/zotero/translators/pull/490