getting different numbers for citations from same source

Hello,

I'm new to zotero and so far it has worked for me fine with LibreOffice - except for this problem:
I want to cite from the same article several times in different places in my text. I had the impression, that if I cite the same article, the endnote should be given the same number?
But zotero every time creates a new number.
The weird thing ist: the 2nd and 3rd time I cite the same article, I only get an abbreviated version instead of the full citation.

I hope you understand my problem - since I don't get any error message this description is all I can give you...

Thanks!
  • This is a question of the citation style:
    If you're using what we call a "note-based" style like Chicago Manual, what you're seeing is the expected behavior and also what the manual requires.
    If you want the same number to refer to the same item on repeated citations, you want to use what we call a numeric style - e.g. Vancouver (and hundreds of other styles on the repository at zotero.org/styles ). When you insert a citation, Zotero will just insert the number - depending on the style that may be in brackets, parentheses, or superscript - we have Vancouver versions for all three of those.

You can then get a bibliography - i.e. a list with all the numbers and the respective items - by clicking "Insert Bibliography" in the Zotero LibreOffice plugin.
    Hope that helps.
  • Hi adamsmith,
    changing the citation style to vancouver did indeed solve the problem.
    Thanks a lot for your help!
  • Hello, I am having a similar problem. I am using APA 7 numeric, superscript. When I insert a citation for the first time, it assigns it a number. When I insert the exact same citation again it assigns it a new number. I need the references to be in APA for the grant submission so changing the style won't work, and technically, it sounds like the APA 7 numeric, superscript style should work. I want one number per citation (no matter how many times it is used) and one reference in the bibliography related to that citation. Thoughts?