Style Request: New Zealand Veterinary Journal

Hello,

I am trying to switch from endnote to zotero, but there doesn't seem to be a style file for the journal I publish in.

I tried modifying a style that was similar (Journal of Neurophysiology seems to have some similarities) but got frustrated and have given up as I don't understand it well enough.

The style guide for the NZVJ is here:
http://www.vetjournal.org.nz/sites/default/files/domain-19/NZVJ%20Instructions%20for%20Authors.pdf

The formats for the main sources are on page 4.

Can you help me?

If you can let me know what style you want to start with to modify from, I could go through and give you specific differences if that would help.
  • Ok - I played with it a bit more and have basically got things formatted how I need them.

Am having a problem with one thing though in the bibliography for chapters from a book. When displaying editors, how can I get it to display (ed) or (eds) after the names depending on the number of editors? This is what I have so far.

</macro>
    <macro name="editor">
    <names variable="editor" suffix=" ">
    <name sort-separator=" " initialize-with="" name-as-sort-order="all" delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    </names>
    </macro>

I think I need to use label variable with type=short but I can't figure out how to get it to work...
  • try this:
    <macro name="editor">
    <names variable="editor" suffix=" ">
    <name sort-separator=" " initialize-with="" name-as-sort-order="all" delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <label form="short" strip-periods="true" suffix=")" prefix=" ("/>
    </names>
    </macro>

any other questions let us know, it sounds like you're doing great.
  • That worked! Thank you!

Have another similar problem. Instead of ed. for the short abbreviation for edition, I need it to be Edtn.

Here is what I have (below). Am guessing I need some way to either reprogram the form="short" for the variable edition so it always does Edtn., or just override it for this specific macro.

<macro name="edition">
    <choose>
    <if is-numeric="edition">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <number variable="edition" form="ordinal"/>
    <text term="edition" form="short" suffix="" strip-periods="true"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="edition" suffix="."/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
  • "Am guessing I need some way to either reprogram the form="short" for the variable edition"

Yes.
    Put this:

<locale xml:lang="en">
    <terms>
    <term name="edition" form="short">Edtn.</term>
    </terms>
    </locale>
    into the style right after cs:info, i.e. after
    </info>

Here's the relevant passage from the csl specifications:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#locale
  • You're amazing! Thank you!
  • please don't forget to submit your style for inclusion in the repository once you're happy with it:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Submitting-Styles