"Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing" > 24 hrs

Hi friends!
Ever since I added a new group library last night, something has been fishy. Perpetual syncing, redownloading of my entire library, and the dialogue box asking me if I wanted to "reset" various group libraries (I did, later saw in other troubleshooting threads that that was the wrong thing to have done -- sorry!). No matter how many conflicts I resolve or how many times I click reset, I come back to the same alert: Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing. We've been syncing for more than 24 hrs now.
Can you help me out?
Thanks!
Jo
  • edited August 8, 2012
    the dialogue box asking me if I wanted to "reset" various group libraries (I did, later saw in other troubleshooting threads that that was the wrong thing to have done -- sorry!)
    Those threads were referring to manual resets, not resetting groups when prompted by Zotero. So you didn't do anything wrong there.

First, read Repeated Conflicts to understand what's happening. The issue isn't that you keep getting the conflicts—it's that (presumably) you're getting an error when you perform a manual sync. I suspect in your case it's automatically resetting itself each time, which is a bit different from what's described on that page, but the result is the same.

Next, provide a Report ID.
  • Wow, way to be on call on the late night shift, Dan! Color me impressed!

The Report ID is this: 1453124859
  • and you're right -- manually resetting itself -- starting over.
    another report id fwiw, 1942693770
  • Was that Report ID after performing a sync? (Sorry if that wasn't clear.) I don't see any relevant messages in there.

If that was after performing a sync, we can try for a Debug ID for the sync attempt.
  • It's 25,000,000 kb -- it'd take a while to let it run its course. Do I need to do that again for you to get the sync report?

Thanks
  • Yes, I'm afraid.

Also, if you consistently get a conflict resolution dialog, it'd be better to open the preferences, start the sync, and not start the debug logging until you get to the last screen of the conflict resolution, before clicking Finish. That should increase the chances that the debug output will submit properly.

Also, presumably you mean 25MB, not 25GB. (Server shows 56MB, but that's before compression, so 25MB is plausible.)
  • Oh noooo --- I was clicking through "next" "next" and "next" and then accidentally hit "finish" -- agg. I was hoping "finish" would at least be locationally different so as to catch the person just trying to click through (there are always so many of them, this'd be a great UI improvement). Now we're synching again. :(

and yep, my syncing logo shows 34 million kb.
  • Uh oh. I'm now again on Conflict Resolution and on the last screen, and the Action menu is greyed out.

There doesn't seem to be anything else to do except cancel the sync. Spinning pizza of death. Can't select any menus. (sigh)
  • edited August 9, 2012
    Right, that's why I said to open the preferences window first. The conflict resolution dialog is modal, so you can't interact with the rest of the window while it's open.
  • As a side note, while it'd be nice to see what the problem was here, unless you actually have data locally that hasn't been synced to the server, you could just ignore all this and do a Restore from Zotero Server in the Sync->Reset pane of the preferences. That will erase your local database and pull all your data down from the server.
  • Hey Dan! Just got back to this. Here's the debug log.
    D135668675
    Thanks for the new instructions. I'd love to save what I've just done, so let's see what you can find. But yep, if I lose it, this'll help me get back to working. Thanks!
  • What does this debug output cover, exactly? This is from right before you click Finish? What happens after you click Finish?

I should have told you this before, but make sure auto-sync is disabled in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences, since we only want the output for a single manual sync—not an auto-sync. Ideally you'll click the sync icon, get the conflict resolution window, start debug output logging immediately before clicking Finish, and then it'll do some more syncing stuff and then fail with an error, at which point you can send in the Debug ID.

I'm still not totally sure what behavior you're seeing on your end, though—if you can explain that, I might be able to give you better instructions.
  • edited August 10, 2012
    Of course, if you don't want to bother with this, you can also sort your library by Date Added, highlight any items you've recently added, export those to Zotero RDF with notes and files, do a Restore from Zotero Server, and then reimport that RDF file.

Future versions of Zotero will be much better at dealing with syncing many (large) libraries.
  • Ugh, going on day three of no Zotero in the middle of a writing deadline is not a great thing.

I'm trying to reset from the server.

I'm already getting error messages:
    "Session ID already set in Zotero.Sync.Server.login()"
    [JavaScript Error: "Overwriting translator with same filename 'Журнальный зал.js' in Zotero.Translators.save()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translator.js" line: 380}]

Report ID 1627353745
  • edited August 10, 2012
    And another mysterious error, "File sync already in process"

Report ID 1134635108

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: File sync operation already in progress"]
  • edited August 10, 2012
    Restart Zotero and try the sync again.
  • Dear Dan!
    Thank you so much for your patience and help. Zotero is back to working, and I am overjoyed!
    Hoping you're having a lovely weekend.
    Be well,
    Jo