WEBDAV and pdf storing and sync

I want to use WEBDAV in my NAS to sync two zotero (office: pc with zotero+firefox; home: mac+safari) and to have a datastore of my pdf

I found some problems:
-from office: i attach pdf but if I access to my NAS the I see only zip file with files with strange name that I can't open
-from home: with safari I access to my NAS and if I download the zip file I can see the attach (but the name of file are different and not recognizable)
-from home: if with zotero standalone i want to sync my reference and I want to work with the attachment in the references not insert from home I can't find the file attached

I simple want to:
-have a file pdf in the server with the name I choose at the first
-find the pdf in the zotero standalone indipently from the system and the pc I use to put the references

I hope my english was clear
Thanks
Nico
  • sorry:

-find the pdf in the zotero standalone indipently from the system and the pc I use to put the references
  • For various technical reasons, files synced via WebDAV are not meant to be accessed outside of Zotero.

Zotero File Storage provides online access to files. There are some third-party scripts that make files on WebDAV accessible, but they require a web server, not just a storage device.
    -from home: if with zotero standalone i want to sync my reference and I want to work with the attachment in the references not insert from home I can't find the file attached
    This should work, though. See Files Not Syncing.
  • Note, though, that a future version of Zotero (once we can guarantee a minimum Firefox version) will stop encoding filenames within ZIP files.

Uncompressed syncing to WebDAV could happen someday, but it would take a lot of work.
  • Thanks for your clarification.
    The sync about a reference made on mac (computer B) is perfected if on computer A i re-sync all the reference.

I understand that the lesson to read the file in WEBDAV is "not use firefox". I will try with crome on computer A

Two question:
    -is it available an option to sync in WEBDAV and ZOTERO STORE togheter?
    -how can i store my pdf in a server? what script can i use ?

Thanks
  • I understand that the lesson to read the file in WEBDAV is "not use firefox". I will try with crome on computer A
    I don't know what you mean by this. This doesn't have anything to do with Firefox vs. Chrome.
    -is it available an option to sync in WEBDAV and ZOTERO STORE togheter?
    For the same library? No. You can choose either WebDAV or Zotero File Storage for your personal library. Group file sync is available only via Zotero File Storage.
    -how can i store my pdf in a server? what script can i use ?
    It's not about storing. It's about accessing, with a server-side script that actually unzips the ZIP files and decodes the filenames. See this thread for one. This is a third-party script by a Zotero user, so we don't vouch for it in any way.
  • Thanks,
    the php script is very usefull
  • Google drive and dropbox are proving to be optimal solutions for pdf cloud storage. I have thousands of papers, and web shots but for any given project I need but a fraction of those. Zotero does well for initial gathering and organizing but once the creme is sifted, the project gets amdrive and dropbox folder with tags at the end of the foldet name and it goes to both. From there all teading and annotating is done on the nexus 7 using adobe reader, floating notes, and float n split keyboard. Once changes are made I send em bavk to drive. Dropbox serves as a cleanslate collection. From there I can initiate collaboration with shared folders in drive and then the world is my oyster.