Can I specify which words to keep their upper case in the bibliography?

I don't know if anyone else has the same question, but I couldn't find it in the forum. So here I am.

I use APA format in Word to create bibliography. Now it will automatically change the titles to only first letter in upper case, which is a pretty nice feature. However, one problem I got from this is that sometimes I would want some special term to be kept in upper case (eg, fMRI, IBM, FBI...). Is there any way I can do this?

Another question is sometimes I may even want it to be in lower case in the first word in the title (eg, "fMRI is a cool tool.") because it's a special word. Can I do this too?

Thank you very much!
Can I specify which words to keep their upper case in the bibliography?
  • For the time being you cannot. There is a ticket to deal with these kinds of issues (https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/832) but for the time being the only thing to do is manually edit the output.
  • thanks a lot for your response.

that's what i'm doing now. but the problem with this is whenever i refresh the bibliography list then my edits will be gone. :(

Hopefully it'll be solved soon. I know there are lots difficulties to find out a way. But I think it'll be a good idea to at least first give an option to turn off the automatic case transformation. So that I can just edit them in Zotero and list them as it is.

Thanks!
  • You can set title or sentence case in the record in Zotero in the info pane (right-click on the title), then add your own edits.
  • erazlogo: yes, I tried this. but this won't change the bibliography listed in my word document (even with refreshing).

The output format I got is always like this (Upper case in the first letter of the title sentence):

Ackerman, P. L. (2007). New developments in understanding skilled performance, Current Directions in Psychological Science, 16(5), 235-239.

however, I did just realize that i can edit bibliography in Word using the Zotero function. This way my edition won't change back anymore after refreshing. So it works for me now! Thanks!!
  • edited March 20, 2008
    Yes, I forgot it was defined in CSL. I think until the ticket is resolved the sentence case for titles should be turned off in APA. But I'll leave it to Zotero developers to decide.
  • Yes, it should probably be turned off.
  • Done--the new version is under Dev Styles at http://www.zotero.org/styles/
  • The updated version of the APA style has been pushed to the repository. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • Thank you! It's working the way as you said for me now.