Cannot install Word Add-in

Hi guys,

Using:
Zotero Standalone v3.0.8
Word 2003 SP3
Windows XP Professional

Zotero installs fine, I can connect and sync all is good.

But I cannot install the Word Add-in. It doesn't do it on first startup, and when in Zotero I go to Preferences>Cite>Install Word Add-in it won't do it and I just get the error:

"Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Zotero."

Word/Outlook and everything, I have closed, but it still comes up with the same error... Tried reinstalling Zotero from scratch, still no good.

Tried searching FAQ and Forums to no avail... Any tips or help appreciated.

Regards,
Martin.
  • Try the manual installation instructions. If that doesn't help, provide a report ID after re-triggering the error.
  • Hi Simon,

I started the manual installation as you instructed, and got to the part of Locating my Word Startup folder. When in word I looked under Tools>Options>File Locations it had my Word Startup folder as something on Q:/ (I forgot the exact directory). This Q:/ drive doesn't exist on this PC and I can't access it anywhere on the network I'm on. Word was installed remotely on this network by IT guys on this PC so maybe this is why it was pointing there? I guess this was what was stopping Zotero installing the Word add-in?

So I created a folder in "My Documents" called "Word_Startup" and then pointed Word to that directory Tools>Options>File Locations>Modify then shut down Word and started Zotero Standalone and went to Tools>Options>Cite and Reinstalled Word Add-in. All worked fine! And works in Word too.

I guess putting the startup in My Documents will only allow me to have Zotero working in Word, not anyone else logging in on the PC? Is there somewhere better I should move the Word_Startup folder I created, and is how I fixed the problem ok without the potential of causing other problems?

Thanks for you help,
    Martin.