Style Request: Asian Studies Review

Hi there,

I was trying to do the style myself, but I have admit that I don't get it done with the CSL and Zotero documentation. For a computer dummie like me this is just not comprehensible.

But if somebody would help me further from where I am, I may be able to do it myself for the next style. ;)

Here is the ASR style guide: http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?journalCode=casr20&page=instructions

I took the Political Studies style as the basis and managed to do a few changes. This is what still needs to be done:

IN TEXT CITATIONS

Replace the “:” in front of the page number with "," and add “pp. p.”

For newspaper articles the citations should include the full date such as "(McLennan, 20 October 2009, p. 19)"

BIBLIOGRAPHY

BOOK CHAPTERS

After author and chapter title replace "." with ","; replace "In" with "in"; replace "book title" with "editor[s]"; add "(ed[s].)"; followed by "chapter title"; "pages" with "p., pp."; location and publisher such as in

Sun, Wanning (2005) Anhui baomu in Shanghai: Gender, class and a sense of place, in Jing Wang (ed.), Locating China: Space, place and popular culture, pp. 171–89 (London: Routledge).

JOURNAL ARTICLES

Add page number after issue such as in

Whittaker, Andrea (2008) Pleasure and pain: Medical travel in Asia. Global Public Health 3(3), pp. 271–90.

NEWSPAPERS

Date should have this form

McLennan, David (2009) Australians 'ignorant' of crucial Asian economies. Canberra Times, 20 October, p. 19.

WEBSITES

Should have the "author" "title" followed by the "website title" in italics followed by "Available at" "URL" "accessed ..." such as in

Mackie, Vera (2000) The metropolitan gaze: Travellers, bodies and spaces. Intersections 4. Available at http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/issue4/vera.html, accessed 31 May 2008.

I guess the more obscure items in the style guide can be left alone.
  • Where can I upload the changes to the PS style I have made already? It seems I can't paste into this window.
  • try this
    http://steveridout.com/csl/visualEditor/
    for simple edits, should make it easier.

to post what you have use pastebin.com or gist.github.com

I can take a look but not anytime very soon.
  • Thanks, that looks like something I may be able to handle. Will report back.
  • it's under development, so do feel free to leave feedback, including for things that you find confusing (there's a feedback button on the page - it's not by Zotero, so don't post about this here).
  • @Chris_hk: The guidance notes for the style raise some issues that I may be able to handle in MLZ -- the application of italics to transliterated titles. The notes are incomplete, and I've written to Taylor Francis for clarification. When I hear back I'll post to this thread.
  • Just heard back from the editors at Taylor Francis, who confirm that all transliterated titles should be set in italics. This cannot be provided by the CSL style, but we can handle it through language settings in MLZ. It will require a small extension to the language control interface, but I will get that in place within the next week.
  • edited August 2, 2012
    Hi,

I tried on visual editor for two hours but had to give up. I got one thing done but a few others messed up.

I am clearly not a computer genius, but not a complete failure either. I can handle every day issues fine and am using software such as STATA. Nonetheless, this user interface to me is almost completely incomprehensible and I am not capable of figuring this out in a reasonable amount of time.

Thus, I unfortunately will not be able to contribute to this style. I have uploaded what I have here though: https://gist.github.com/3233160

I will have access to a copy editor, so there is no absolute need for me to have this style. Nonetheless, if sb would get it done within about two weeks, I'd still be very happy to test use it.

Sorry for not being able to do this on my own.
  • edited August 3, 2012
    MLZ is now able to apply italics only to transliterated foreign titles, as required by the Taylor Francis style guide (and many others).
  • @Chrishk - the Asian Studies Review style is now up - give it a whirl and let me know if there are any problems.
  • @ adamsmith

Thanks a bunch! Will try it and let you know how it works.
  • I gave it a try and came across these issues:

1) The month and date in newspapers should be "day month" instead of "month day" as it is now.

McLennan, David (2009) Australians 'ignorant' of crucial Asian economies. Canberra Times, 20 October, p. 19.

2) Titles should not be capitalized. The first word after the colon should be capitalized though.

Butler, Judith (2009) Frames of war: When is life grievable? (London: Verso).

3) Websites need an "accessed ..." at the end.

Mackie, Vera (2000) The metropolitan gaze: Travellers, bodies and spaces. Intersections 4. Available at http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/issue4/vera.html, accessed 31 May 2008.

4) Strangely whenever there is more than one title from the same author in the bibliography, the name is in senseless code after the first time. I tried rebooting the computer, changing to another style and back, copying the paper into a new word file, and using a style in an empty word file. All to no avail.

See:
    Zhao, Yuezhi (2000) Watchdogs on Party Leashes? Contexts and Implications of Investigative Journalism in post-Deng China. Journalism Studies 1, pp. 577–97.
    ——— (2008) Communication in China: Political Economy, Power, and Conflict. State and Society in East Asia. (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield).
  • edited August 29, 2012
    5) The style has no DOI.

6) The website is not necessary for newspaper articles.
  • Thanks for looking at this.
    1-5 are fixed.
    I'm going to disagree with 6 - newspaper articles will only get a URL when they have no page number and have a URL - i.e. when they clearly appear to be from an online version of the newspaper. Looking at published articles in the journal, URLs do seem common for online sources even when they're not websites, so that's what the style does (not just for newspapers).