Ubuntu and Standalone: Attached pdfs fail

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with Firefox 14.0.1 behind a university proxy that requires authentication. When I use the standalone client to capture a journal record (from, say, Jstor) the attached pdf icon shows for about two minutes (without creating a file or folder). Then it disappears. Nothing seems to download.

This behaviour does not occur when I use Zotero inside the browser. I have looked for duplicates of this issue but not exhaustively.
  • For translators that download pdfs in general, Zotero will download the file from the URL (so you'd see something) and then look at its mime type and delete it if it's not correct. Often that's the case if it gets e.g. a login page.
    Check if you get the pdf for an open access paper like:
    http://www.nanoscalereslett.com/content/7/1/412/abstract
    If that works, this is a problem in how standalone and proxy work together in your case and we'd need more details on the proxy - i.e. a sample URL as you see it.
  • Odd. There is no pdf attachment response on that page. Zotero creates the record without the pdf. I can download the pdf inside the browser without authentication.
  • that suggest something more general isn't working. Provide a debug ID for an attempt to save the artice above. Double check that you have the "attach pdf" option checked in the Standalone preferences.
  • Debug output for that download submitted with id D68603257. I have the "automatically attach associated pdfs" option selected.
  • A bit more on this. It seems to be proxy related. If I capture an open access reference on my home network (without the university proxy) the pdf attaches properly.
  • how does a full URL - as you see it including proxy - look?
  • The proxy is a Squid caching proxy used by the university network, not an off-campus proxy, so the URLs are standard.
  • The caching proxy requires authentication, which is handled by Firefox; Chromium uses the Ubuntu system proxy settings.
  • Simon will have to look at this, proxy's have always been a little more tricky in Standalone.