paste in 'Prefix' field in Word causes crash

thank you very much Zotero. I love it. but I'm trying to figure out some little issues. i don't know if it's just me, but I can reproduce this problem every time on my Vista & Office 2007 laptop.

Using MS Word plugin, after selecting a reference, if in the 'prefix' field I try to 'paste' words that I've already copied from somewhere else, the plugin window and Word freeze. I had to end Word in task manager (and only work in Processes, not Applications. i guess the former will pop-up a dialogue window to ask if I really want to close Word, but this dialogue might be byhind the frozen Zotero plugin).

I've tried many different methods and narrowed down to this.
I'm in the process of finishing my dissertation, so I'd really appreciate if someone can help me on this!! Thank you very much!
I really like Zotero and want to use it, but if it will instead causing too much trouble than I probably have to sadly give up on it before I finish my dissertation.
  • This won't help you much but I pointed out that the same thing happens in openoffice some time ago. So its not a Word problem, the plugin doesn't like pasting.
    btw. why do you need to paste so badly? Obviously it would make life occasionally a bit easier / quicker if we could but I've found the other benefits of Zotero make it worthwhile.
    Regards, Jon.
  • thank you for the comment.

I'm trying to convert the text that I've already had written (including in-text citations and other words i wrote wihtin the parentheses). Many of the in-text citation are not like the regular ones (e.g., '(Smith, 1999)), but are more complicated (e.g., '(see also Smith, 1999 for a more deatiled discussion; but see Lee, 2003 for an opposite finding)). So it'll save some time if I can just copy/paste those words that I've already typed in). If I edit those in Word directly, then a refresh will change them back again.

BTW, I just realized too it's not just pasting in "Prefix", also in other fields too.

I still would like to give Zotero a try though.
  • I'm not able to reproduce this on Windows XP (or on OS X).
  • Dan, were you trying this in Word or OpenOffice? It kills openoffice very time I try this on Windows XP
  • Both Word 2003 and OOo 2.3.1, but if it's happening with both plugins—and in the Add Citation dialog—it seems more likely to be a Firefox issue. The Add Citation dialog is a Firefox window, not a Word/OOo window, and there's no communication between Firefox and Word/OOo until you click OK.
  • i think Dan might be right.

I found out that when this freezes happens, I could end firefox using task manager and MS Word would become normal again.
  • Could it be caused by the security feature that disables rich text copy pasting?
    I tried disabling all my non-Zotero add ons but that didn't help.
    Jon.
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3064/bug-report-openoffice-writer-crash-when-pasting-from-clipboard-into-zotero-interface-search/
This discussion has been closed.