Syncing aborts - Report ID 1444964251

When syncing from Firefox (OS: Windows 7 Ultimate), sync aborts. Files will not download. Suspect something to do with long file names, but need certainty. Aforementioned report ID generated when attempting to report error: Report ID 1444964251
  • Are you connecting through a proxy server? Do you have security software installed on your system?

Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error.
  • Debug completed as requested. Debug ID is D267346564.
  • PS - In a desperate bid to troubleshoot the problem myself, I have been interchanging between Zotero Standalone and Zotero Forefox Add-in.

Important note: I work with two computers (at the same time, single desk) one a desktop and the other a laptop. I use Firefox on both computer, but seldom do I use Zotero Standalone, but when I do, it is on my laptop only. My desktop user rights does not permit Zotero Standalone to be installed.

A further debug report has been submitted. Debug ID: D472264190.
  • You didn't answer my questions.
    Unexpected status code 0 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS._getStorageFileInfo() (0_PKBUUVUG)
    This generally indicates that your connection is being interrupted, either because of the network or because of security software.

Have you tried the laptop on a different network?
  • Dan, thanks for your efforts to assist me in resolving my enquiry.

I did in fact answer your question, but was not entirely aware of the fact that my message wouldn't transmit via my email reply. I read your response on my mobile phone and the limitations of my Blackberry Mail Service is such that it does not indicate that the Zotero Forum email address is 'do-not-reply@zotero.org'; it merely shows the descriptive: 'Zotero Forum' and conceals the actual address. I thus obviously had to type my reply on this forum, online, whcih I will not be doing now, but my sincere apologies nevertheless.

I will not be pursuing this enquiry any further. The syncing problem persists however, but to commence with trying different networks is not an option. Where I work (in terms of the physical locality and network architecture of a large university) is not changeable. If the Zotero software doesn't factor in workarounds for these sorts of scenarios, then so be it; as odd as it may seem however, considering thousands of academic knowledge workers at universities worldwide probably work in similar computer network and security environments.

On an understanding note, I accept the limitations of freely available software and will continue to make use of Zotero nonetheless as I find the benefits thereof world-class and would not be interested in finding an alternative.

For now, in all sincere honesty, I have limited time to troubleshoot this any further.

Professional thanks for your assistance nonetheless.
  • Where I work (in terms of the physical locality and network architecture of a large university) is not changeable.
    Trying a different network was just a debugging step. Zotero obviously works at hundreds of large universities with diverse network topologies. (For all we know, it works just fine for most people at your institution as well.)
    On an understanding note, I accept the limitations of freely available software
    Not sure what you mean by this. It doesn't have anything to do with Zotero being freely available software. Something on your computer (e.g., security software) or network (e.g., proxy server) is breaking the standard HTTPS connections that Zotero uses to sync. More debugging could perhaps shed light on what exactly that is, but if you don't have time for that, that's perfectly fine.
  • For what it's worth, the particular request that was failing in the above debug output was this one:

https://api.zotero.org/users/820652/items/PKBUUVUG/file?auth=1&iskey=1&version=1&info=1

Loading that in the browser (and entering your Zotero credentials) might give some indication of the problem. (Or, if it works, then it's just an intermittent network glitch and your file sync will likely finish once it tries enough times.)
  • Your closing comment, "your file sync will likely finish once it tries enough times" seems to be a viable solution for me. After repeated attempts, it has cleared itself of the error. Many thanks indeed.