New references are present in the Zotero folder but do not show in Firefox (with Dropbox)

the title tells it all.
Any new reference I introduce is visible in the Zotero Firefox immediately.
1. I usually enter a new reference
2. then I use to quit Firefox
3. check that Dropbox does its updating tasks, wait till it says all files are updated
4. then reopen Firefox
my problem is that those new references do not show in Firefox/Zotero any more
I checked that they are nevertheless present inside the Zotero folder of Dropbox
so where is the problem?
I mention that I have Firefox sync (bookmarks, history etc) on several machines but tried with or without other Firefox opened on other machines

many thanks for help : this is lasting for several weeks now, even tried the Zotero standalone with no success, references still do not show

ps Firefox 13.0, Zotero 3.0.3, Dropbox 1.4.7
  • How exactly are you using dropbox?
    Putting Zotero's database into the dropbox folder is strongly discouraged and not supported. As long as you do that we can't help you here. If that's not what you're doing, pls. explain with more detail.
  • ah, this is exactly what I do, putting my zotero database in the Dropbox folder to have more space for my references.
    So I need to find help elsewhere?
    Alain
  • well, you really shouldn't do it. The reason it's not supported isn't because we're mean, but because it creates all types of problems and potentially corrupts your database. Dropbox and similar services aren't suitable for syncing databases.

(If you can find a system where you use dropbox only for your attached files and not the database that's fine - symlinks work, as do syncing services like SpiderOak that allow you to specify individual folders (in this case the "storage" folder in the data directory).)
  • edited July 10, 2012
    ah this is very helpful
    I will try with SpiderOak and sync only the "storage" folder
    but then where will be stored the database? this is not clear to me...

ps about your mention that Dropbox isn't suitable for database syncing I just realise that the database file occupies almost half of the dropbox storage space, maybe this is is causing my pbs...
  • The database (and the storage folder) stay where they are - e.g. in their default location. SpiderOak allows you to pick any folder from your computer and sync it. You can sync your Zotero database with Zotero's own sync, which is free for data.
  • Ok I think I've perfectly understood what I will do ... after my vacation
    many thanks